I have problem with hypertension since I was 35. Now I am 55 and I could say many drugs passed through my veins, doing little to help me. However, my new doctor prescribed me drug I have never used before. It is Losartan, so I want to hear is it medicine used to treat hypertension or something else? Could you tell me anything about this drug, because I want to buy only safe drugs?

Cozaar is name for Losartan potassium, and this drug is usually indicated for the treatment of hypertension. It may be used alone or in combination with other antihypertensive agents that your doctor might prescribe. Losartan is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to any component of this product. I guess your doctor checked it before prescribing new medicine to you. Dosing of this drug must be individualized and not the same for everyone. The usual starting dose of Losartan is 50 mg once daily, with 25 mg used in patients with possible depletion of intravascular volume. Those are patients treated with diuretics, which your doctor should know. However, Losartan can be administered once or twice daily with total daily doses ranging from 25 mg to 100 mg. If the antihypertensive effect measured at trough using once-a-day dosing is inadequate, a twice-a-day regimen may give a more satisfactory response. The effect of Losartan is present within one week but in some studies the maximal effect occurred in 3-6 weeks