My doctor told me that Hydrodiuril has been found useful in edema due to various forms of renal dysfunction. Since I have edema because of acute glomerulonephritis, he recommended me to use this drug. However, I have a friend who gets this Hydrodiuril prescribed for management of hypertension. Now I am worried if this is appropriate medicine for me or my doctor made mistake. Can you tell me more about Hydrodiuril, and its side effects?

Do not be worried about your doctor’s decision to treat you with Hydrodiuril, because that is appropriate medicine for edema. It is also recommended to treat hypertension, so you should not worry someone else’s care. Hydrodiuril could be sole therapeutic agent or to enhance the effectiveness of other antihypertensive drugs in the more severe forms of hypertension. This drug should be use with caution in severe renal disease. It is common situation, which cumulative effects of the drug may develop in patients with impaired renal function. Thiazides such as Hydrodiuril should be used with caution in patients with impaired hepatic function or progressive liver disease. This is because minor alterations of fluid and electrolyte balance may precipitate hepatic coma. Hydrodiuril may also add to or potentiate the action of other antihypertensive drugs. Side effects are weakness, hypotension including orthostatic hypotension, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and anorexia. It is also reported side effect as aplastic anemia, respiratory distress including pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.