I have a bad problem with water retention and am hoping that someone here can be of any help at all on this. I travel in airplanes a lot and I am convinced that this does contribute to the amount of water retention that I have, though I have no scientific proof of this at all. If you have any information on this, I'd like to get any links, articles or studies that you know of.

Water retention could be a sign of kidney function issues. Have you had any tests done to see how your kidney function is? Only thing I can suggest is before plane trips is to eat no or low salt so that your body doesn't retain the fluid as salt makes you retain. Also I know this sounds odd but drink a lot of water because the kidneys need to be hydrated to work at their utmost. Dehydrated kidneys won't work as well and thus you will have water retention in the body instead of being filtered through the kidneys.