Hi, a few days ago I went to see my doctor because I have been having headaches and feeling dizzy. She determined that I have a high blood pressure and ordered a bunch of tests and urine analysis as well. When the results came my doctor told me that I have proteins in my urine and that she will have to do some additional tests to determine the cause of the problem. One of the tests is the assessment of kidney filtration rate. I am puzzled with this development. Why kidney filtration rate is so important and what does it have to do with my headaches?

Hi, kidney filtration rate is a number that is used to assess the kidney function. The doctor ordered this test because of the proteins present in your urine. This result points to the fact that there might be something wrong with your kidneys. The function of the kidneys is to clean our blood. Through a complex mechanism of filtration the waste product of our metabolism are eliminated from our blood into urine. The presence of proteins suggests that your kidneys are not functioning properly. The kidney filtration rate is the volume of fluid filtered from the kidney capillaries into a part of kidney cells called Bowman's capsule. There are accepted values for kidney filtration rate that indicate the state of kidneys. If the number of kidney filtration rate is lower than thirty it means that you are suffering from kidney failure. The connection between kidney failure and headaches is high blood pressure. Both of the conditions are caused by it.