Hi, I have a problem I don’t know how to deal with. I have started to workout because I had some excess fat I wanted to get rid of. I am currently on a diet and besides from weight lifting I also do cardio exercises. All of this to lose those extra pounds. However, I am not having success regardless to how hard I try. A guy at the gym told me that I might have a water retention problem. How can I deal with this situation?

Hi, if you are really doing all of the things you have said and you are not slacking off any of it, than your persistent extra pound could be retained water. There are several reasons why our body is trying to store this water. Mostly the problem is found in the capillaries walls that allow for the water to leak into the intracellular space. And there is not any low calorie diet that could help you to lose this water. If you really want to get rid of the extra water pounds, you could try following. First of all drink plenty of water. At least two liters daily. I know this may sound absurd, but it works. When you drink plenty of water, your kidneys are working faster. There is a complex physiology mechanism behind this reaction and it involves certain hormones and electrolytes. I will not bother you with details, just try it and you will see I am right. Also, try to eliminate salt from your diet. Too much salt can bond water to it, causing water retention. Finally, eat food rich in fiber. Fibers also bond water and eliminate it from yours digestive system. I hope that these small changes will help you solve your retention problem.