i'm new to this forum and was just wondering....i can't figure out which makes me feel better when i run....i've tried drinking powerade, gaterade, water, propel and nothing seems to work any better than the next. and how much should i be drinking right before i run because it seems i get really thirsty very quickly

Howdy and welcome, system77,

I drink predominantly water before (~4 oz.) and during runs with Gatorade afterward on hot runs.

I'm a newbie who don't run very long, but I'm ALWAYS thirsty -- so I will often carry a small bike bottle with me just to moisten my mouth. That helps with my perceived thirst. For most folks, once you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Do you drink sufficient amounts of water throughout the day? I find that drinking very much right before a run makes me slosh and can lead to cramping. :)

I use Gatorade mix so I can control how saturated the solution is. I often find that pre-mixed Gatorade is too strong for me and have to dilute it.

Long distance runners and hot weather runners need something aside from plain water to replace electrolytes lost from sweating. If you're losing weight on runs, replace those lost fluids!

Water before and during. Sports drink afterwards

Welcome aboard.

definitely be drinking your water all day long. Weight Watchers says that you need to be drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces. So since I weigh 139, I need to drink at least 70 ounces, and this is before you even consider exercise. I drink about 100 ounces on days that I'm exercising. I've slacked off considerably since I quit running, but I'm getting back to it.

It is true that once you are thirsty, you're on your way to deydration, and that can lead to so many problems, from kidney to headaches.

I absolutely hate water, so I opt for decaf green tea with a little bit of splenda. I love Propel, but geesh, I cannot afford that habit with as much as I drink. I think the key just for general hydration is to get your fluids, making sure they are carbonation/sodium/calorie/caffeine free.

Best,
Brie

Much of how your body handles fluids is "how you train" it. I've gone through periods of drinking a lot of water during the day and other times where I drink little. As for my running performance, I can't say there's been a difference. Being accustomed to less, my body adapts. When I train, I'm not concerned about drinking on runs under 90-minutes. I've been doing this a couple decades and that's what I've become used to. I'll get a sports drink afterwards and during the day I'll have water, similar to what's been posted already. But during races, I will take sports drink at the aid stations and get a "boost" because it's something extra I'm not used to and I feel it helps my performance on raceday seeing as I've trained in "deprivation" mode. Just my caveman technique.

ok well apparently i'm very much dehydrated...but i HATE water...and where's the fun with no carbonation/sodium/calories/caffine? i personally like the last reply best...thanks jrjo....maybe it's just my way of rationalizing it but i don't want to be running to the bathroom all the time either bc i drink so much water :? i'll try to drink more and see what happens

Well a drink i like is to add about 8oz of Cranberry-rasberry to a quart of ice water. not a soda, not caffinated but a low calorie fluid with some electrolytes. i also use the juice with added salt for my long outings of over an hour. for that i use 20oz juice to 50 oz ice/water