Hello! My mother is using Naproxen for pain in her knees. It helps her in reducing pain and increases her mobility. She had no bad reaction to it although she was afraid of eventual gastrointestinal problems since she heard they are the common ones. Her quality of life is improved and she feels much better. But, I heard naproxen cause fluid retention at high doses and it could harm your kidneys after longer period of using it. Is this true?

Hello! I don’t know if your mother already has problems with her kidneys and that is why you are concerned. If she does she should report this to her doctor since this could be very important fact in determination of her further therapy. All products that contain naproxen are not recommended for use in patients with moderate and severe renal impairment. Patients who had any kidney problems have to check their creatinine clearance and according to the results the dose will be adjusted or stopped. You should know that naproxen is primarily excreted by the kidney which could increase potential risk.