I am having this bizarre situation where my taste buds have gone on a vacation suddenly and i have lost all perception or sense of sweet or salt taste. Food seems absolutely bland. However i can feel / sense foods that are cold / hot and i feel the spice in food if the food is pungent or spicy. Also, my sense of smell is intact and sharp as ever. The feeling therefore is quite paradoxical. I can smell but cannot taste. Even in taste i can sense spice but not sweet or salty. Even there the peculiar part is that i can feel the taste at the back of my tongue, only the front or tip part of my tongue is affected.

PL HELLLLLLPPPPP ... AS I AM FEELING PRETTY SICK OF THE WHOLE THING ... !!!!!!

I had the same problem after chewing cinamon gum for 3 days while driving back from Florida. The ability to detect salt took 6 weeks to return,,,the ability to taste sweet took another 2 weeks after that.

While my tounge was recovering, I went through a 4 day (4 X 24 hours) of continuously tasting a sweet-like-aspertame chemical taste. I continously rinsed my mouth, but I couldn't get rid of it. About a week later ,the taste for salt returned.

Good luck. during my ordeal, I focused on eating things that weren't sweet. (pickles, spaghetti, porrage)..It was a crummy diet, but at least the stuff tasted normal (sort of).

When the tastes returned, they literally returned over about a 2 day period..it was pretty fast.

Do you have your taste back yet? It's only been 12 days for me but it's very concering. My doctor had never heard of this.

I have the same problem and this is the second time that happens to me. After reading all the posts, I realized that what is causing the problem are the toothpastes. More if you brush your tongue. Toothpastes have a very agressive chemicals. I'll change my toothpaste by a natural one and I'm sure the problem will be solved. I suggest you do the same test to see if it works for you. Good luck!

I think i got the same problem, and i was a bit worried about. How long did it take to recover?