I'm writing to give all of you taste loss sufferers out there hope. After my tonsillectomy in October of 06, I suffered severe taste loss. The salty flavors came back after a couple months but all sweet flavors were gone for about four months. Then they VERY slowly began to return. It was about eight months before I could really enjoy sweets again and a full year before I would actually say that everything was back to normal. It has only been a few months since my taste has been completely back and I have the biggest sweet tooth now!!! But who can blame me?? I truly think that most of you will regain your taste but it might take a while. It is just so depressing and scary when you don't know for sure if it will. I remember all those feelings. I will continue to write back every once in a while to give people hope. I sure would have loved it if people had done that more often back when I was suffering! Keep that in mind if you regain your taste. Don't forget about the poor people still suffering out there. Try to remember to write and let others know how you're doing. Good luck everyone!

Dear All, today's the 17 Dec, exactly a calendar month after my first tonsillectomy with subsequent infection/severe heamorraging/second operation under general/hospital stay/bad taste loss etc. I am pleased to tell all you worried people out there that THINGS DO GET BETTER! After two operations on the back of my throat under general anaesthetic and losing a stone in weight (almost 14 lbs) I've put back half a stone (7lbs) but kept half off (has to be an advantage somewhere!) and am pleased to say that by eating normally as soon as I could (especially things like bread and pasta even when they tasted of nothing and horrid texture!) things had healed quickly and my taste is almost returned fully, including the horrid medicinal sweet-foods side effect and water tasting nasty... gradually these are passing and I realised when I ate some chocolate cake at one of my kids' parties the other day that it actually tasted good! My friend who is a Doctor says that to keep eating normally is the key to a quick recovery, taste, throat and all. I am almost there, true the full range of sweet tastes are not completely in place and some things still taste a little bitter but I can see the improvments from day to day. If this can happen to me after 2 ops I am sure that you guys will recover after one - just be PATIENT and eat normally (make sure you smell the food to keep your appetite up! even when it doesn't taste as good as it smells - a trick I used every mouthful!). Good luck! Londongirl

Please please tell me more......I have been told I may never get my taste back. Its been 5 months for me and I have had poor poor taste, perhaps 5% tops on some things. Others taste awful, all the things I loved are gone and my mood is terrible. Ive been hospitalised with clinical depression in the past and as an ex smoker and recovering alcoholic of 6 years i feel dreadful to have lost my taste too. I love lucozade and its the one thing I can taste kinda ok.....Eating used to be a lovely experience and I loved meals out Curries, mexican, Cantonese, Tapas...now I might aswell just eat cereals and water.
I go back to the ENT surgeon in a month after a month of steroids which gave me acne, low mood and insatiable appetite which made me gain weight.......I have lost all hope and am beginning to think that damage was indeed done and life will have to be without taste.

Justin............ :-(

Hi Goldenboy, I understand your concern and sympathize with you. Seems like a long shot, but how is your smelling? The two go hand in hand. Technically, we only "taste" sweet, sour, salt and bitter. The tongue can only sense those 4 tastes. The rest of what we often call "taste buds" is actually the smell of food. If you have a sinus infection you can often lose the sense of smell. You may need some medical assistance in recovering your sense of smell, but unfortunately there are some who lose their sense of smell and never get it back. Only a doctor can assist you on this one. If you have not had any issues with your nose, then it is great that you are going ot see an ENT surgeon in the near future. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!

Hi Brenda,

Mmm well this is the story, I have fine smell, my ENT surgeon told me that having the smell but no taste is whats a big problem. I asked why chewing gum was fine and he said it because it is mostly the smell that i taste, like a lozenge effect it is vapor. But as i can smell ok it means the messages to my brain are that i can taste, smell is made up of taste and a high percentage of smell. but as my brain is being fooled all the time due to my smell being ok, it is even more distressing that the tongue and mouth are not picking up the four tastes. This said salt is noticable but the other three are long gone.

I hope this makes sense, im looking forward to seeing him again in June, meanwhile I try and smell my food as i eat it, it kinda helps like with crisps but not much....I will update my story as it unfolds.

J

Hi Goldenboy:

You've had a hard time with this...but don't lose hope. Perhaps your history and your meds have slowed down your full recovery period, but that doesn't mean you won't recover. Yes, it's been a while, but you have a lot to consider and you are still on meds. I just wanted to encourage you because it's not over. Your circumstances are a little different. Keep that in mind....Let us know. Perhaps someone with your experience will post additional encouragement and ideas for you.

Thank you..........I do hope so much that things will change but i cant work out why some days are better than others. I have finished medication but I feel that my taste is cloaked. Some days it is maybe 5-10% others it is completely gone. I cant work it out, its really cruel. I hope things improve but the specialist thinks it maybe a terminal diagnosis for my taste. I hope there is encouragement and thank you for yours.

Justin :-)

Goldenboy...Has your sense of taste continued to improve since your last post? I hope so. Have you gotten another opinion on the possible terminal nature of your condition. I hope that's not true. If it is, however, be encouraged because your other senses may get stronger to compensate. That may not sound like a lot, but it is something positive to focus on. I wish you the best. I am hoping that you will continue to update me on what's happening with you. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

dsdesk......Thanks so much for your words. They really mean so much. I have some updates but they are mixed. Firstly things are much the same, yet I am getting the odd phabtom taste experience, like a bolt fgrom the past I sometimes get exrtreme and full taste sensation but very very rarely. Secondly I have found some foods are just a waste of time. Food is best eaten cold, starchy food is pointless sdo bread and chips, burgers, curry etc is gross. Bu I have suddenly fallen in love with Mediterranean style sundried tomatoes, peppers, peppadew peppers, olives and anchovies, they taste and thats good enough for me!!!!
I eat alot of mixed seafood, I was eating prawns/mussels and squid with pepper and vinegar but it was suggested to try lemon juice and tabasco....another winner. Lovely with some brown bread which I can taste alot better. Soooooo in a nutshell, promising moments, depressing ffeelings, but some uplifting pointers too. I have an addiction to Pineapple and coconut juice with Sprite too.....I will keep updating, I see my ENT specialist soon. The feeling in my throat isnt great, tight and uncomfortable scar tissue pulling and at night I get a weird feeling in my sinus's of liquid running down the back of the bit above my throat from my nose.....really annoying. Back soon hopefully with better news.

Justin ;-)

Justin

Yeah! Thanks for getting back to me. I see VERY hopeful news in your post. It sounds like your taste buds may be slowly showing signs of life again. Could that be true. You didn't have any task before, if I'm correct. This is great! Even with the peeling and throat drip, it means that there is life back there. I am so excited for you and I look forward to hearing from you regarding your visit to the ENT. Please let me know how that visit goes and what you find out. Never say never. :-D

Hello everyone. I thought I would post my latest news. Its not great and I feel very low. Today has been hard and I felt on the verge of some really powerful emotions.
I saw my ENT specialist last week and he was very pleased with how my throat looks and said there has been massive improvement on the visual side of things.
Small consolation really as my taste has gotten worse recently. I feel desperate, I have anxiety feelings that its gone for good and sometimes I watch others enjoying food and drink and I get engulfed in self pity. I try and remain grateful and I am a Christian so I try to remember that others suffer in much greater ways. But I am so so sad with this ongoing nightmare.
I am beginning to lose the will to eat, I get defiant and swear I will never touch anything again in anger.
I am wondering if there is any hope of getting to see a specialist on the NHS? I cant afford to see a private specialist and even if I could, what could they do? I feel like I cant accept my life may never involve tasting all the things I have loved for the last 38 years. Sometimes I am grateful I can see and hear and smell but I cant explain to people just what its like not to be able to taste.
Im sorry people I just feel so low.
I hope others are recovering better than me and pray for those who are struggling............ :-(

Justin

Hi Justin, I'm really sorry to hear that you're doing badly because it sounds like you're kind of going back and forth between being optimistic and pessimistic. It's pretty normal when you've got a problem like you're talking about. I guess the best thing I can tell you is to not give up hope and to keep going to the doctor. I am sure that even on NHS you will be able to see someone to help you out. Please keep me posted on how you're doing. Do you go to church often? I think that helping people out might help you too! Let me know.

Hi all,

Well this weeks been better. I had a strong sensation I havent felt for 7 months and that was my throat being stimulated by taste. Its hard to explain but I felt like I wanted to swallow the food I was eating. It sounds odd but it was the tingly feeling in my throat when I actually tasted the food. It was a Chinese curry and I actually enjoyed it the most Ive enjoyed anything since December.
Soooooo thanks for your replies.....I have no doubt it will be up and down and I guess you can tell im up at the moment? I have to say its been a weird journey, I dont want to go off on one here but I can only explain what has happened to me. I noticed on my Alpha course this year that I could taste better in the church and I just diregarded it as co-incidence (Every week!!!) then on Saturday just gone I went on a Christian life discovery day. Apart from the amazing activities it was a joy to taste the meals they prepared. Again my taste was better.
Anyway to cut to the chase, its always better when im in a place of worship or among Christians. I know it sounds odd!!!!

Sooooooo im better this week, it will probably get worse and better at certain times, Im on an up at the moment and will keep posting progress or lack of........

Again thanks for the support and I hope I in turn am giving something back to this community.

Justin

Well im back and I feel it is important to share good news and not just use this forum for moaning. The news is my taste has levelled out and is constantly ok. Not great but ok. I can taste pretty much everything to a degree and its pretty emotionla stuff. 9 months with little to no taste has been hell. I still feel there is room for improvement but I have to say the change is so so welcome. I want to thank those for their support and I hope to keep posting progress.
I hope this has been a support to others and I just want to finall add for now to those suffering......Hang in there, I thought I had lost it for good, I tasted some breakfast this morning to such a degree I could have cried. Be patient, trust god and pray hard.
See you all soon for another update.

Justin :-D