Community Administrator
Having a salty taste in mouth is an annoying feeling. See if there's a remedy or what could be causing it.

This thread is an extension of the What is causing salty taste in mouth? thread. Please continue posting within this thread.

I think too much alcohol and cigerette consumption has something to do with this.....I guess I developed it just because of that....

I am sorry to hear they closed the other forum but I have found my solution and will share it though I do not know if it will help everyone.
After looking at what everone tried to do and give up- I don't like to give up things unless i am really going to die so I looked at what had changed which was that I was drinking more coffee at work and I also know that the way that that township process its water is different so I began taking distilled water to work to make the coffee and within two weeks the salty taste began to ease up.
I then started drinking all my hot beverages tea hot chocolate and coffee with only distilled water and this has made the problem go away. That is all I did and all I changed. I still have gird but oddly it is not as bad as it was.
for me I think it was just a matter of chemicals in the water that vary enough and caused reactions but I can't confirm that I can only say that I have been over a month free from that retched taste.
Thanks and good luck to everyone

Let me tell you about my experiences. For almost 4 years I was going crazy trying to find out what causes the salty taste in my mouth. I spent a fortune on special toothgels and mouthrinses. I tried different diets, eliminating certain foods (yeast etc.). I went to all different kinds of doctors and they basically told me I was depressed and wanted to put me on antidepressants. Well, after that many years with the problem I probably was depressed! Recently I went to a Gastroenterologist and I had an endoscopy done. He found H. pylori (bacteria) in my stomach, put me on the appropriate medicine and believe it or not, my mouth is normal again! :-D

I have had this salt in the mouth "thing" four times now and it is usually accompanied by too much saliva. It drives me insane. It is so salty that I feel nauseated and I actually have trouble eating. I don't drink coffee, I do drink approx. 2 to 3 diet cokes a day. What really causes my annoying symtom is reflux from the stomach due to a bacterial infection of some type (pylori I think). So my recommendation. Go see a gastroenterologist, get an endoscopy, get medicated and say goodby to the nasty taste. Oops! I forgot, my nice little bacteria (s) came back to visit 3 more times, but my doctor now knows what to do. Good Luck everyone. Boy that thing taste nasty........... :x

I have the salty (kinda salty licorice taste) on my left side only. My doc sent me to an ENT who sent me in for an MRI. I'll post when I know results.

I'm amazed so many of us have this problem... I think I agree with another here in that my problem is being caused by damage to the taste buds on the end of my tongue.

I have been drinking gallons of coffee for years, and have smoked for years, and have taken fish oil capsules for years... I'm 45 and recently had braces put on my teeth. That’s when my problem started…

Well, my tongue just has a mind of it's own and is constantly poking and pushing around at all the new hardware and has become quite sore. To add to the trauma, I think I've been over doing it on the mouth wash trying to be better at oral hygiene. That stuff really burns the c**p out of my mouth sometimes... I think I’ve just damaged the “salt” taste receptors on the end of my tongue and it will take time for them to heal. The problem is, I don’t see that happening soon. I’m going to have these braces for a couple of years, and my tongue keeps “checking stuff out” all the time and rubbing itself raw! The mouth wash just keeps burning off new skin in my mouth all the time. I know it sounds gross, but sometimes the inside of my mouth sheds skin like a snake a few hours after rinsing.

I have the exact same problem! did you ever find out anything from the MRI?

I have been experiencing the same thing for about a year now. It started in my whole mouth and is now concentrated on my lips, front teeth and tip of my tongue. It's driving me crazy. It started about a month after I joined Jenny Craig. Anyone here on the Jenny Craig diet?

Interesting stuff. Had gallbladder removed. Then stones removed. Not fun. Then thought get teeth cleaning before end of year. That was when the non-stop salty started. Inquired of all docs and dentist and they are all stumped. After cleaning had to return for filling restoration couple days later. But salty started after cleaning. Changed to non-whitening everything. Wonder if anyone is eating soup---I am and trying for low-sodium but read that some substitutes are just salt by another name. Did not eat much of this prior to gall bladder removal, but is my food of preference these days. I drink coffee but always have. Last summer had a strange watery left eye that made folks think I was sad and crying, and it suddenly went away about the time this salty started. Are tears going the wrong way now??? I have had every test practicable, and no problems surface. Am a two-time ovarian cancer survivor so have a high tolerance for pain. But this is a pain in the bum. So many share the same pain. There must be a link. Anyone have teary eyes that went away, teeth cleaning, or newly-found reliance on healthy brand canned soup--like Amy's, Healthy Choice, etc.

OK, I feel so much better to know that I am not crazy. But that doesnt change anything in the salt flats of my mouth. It's been about 9 months for me and I thought it started after using rented Scuba Gear. Now after reading all of this i realize I also have had recent stomach issues, never had this before, but I am in desperate need of a root canal as well and am still rationalizing like all of you. Doc thinks I'm nuts and gives me antibiotics for a possible infection ??!!?? That made everything worse. Raging yeast infection!!! EVERYWHERE!!! tonight when I go to bed with my new friend Tums (I'll try anything) I will be thinking of all of you fellow salty mouth friends and know that I am Not alone!! Thanks so much and someone please get a doctor who knows what the hell this is....It's actually becoming debilitating....no medical insurance so no doctor for me. I'm counting on you guys.

I have this problem and saw so many posts on salty taste. I ONLY taste the salt when I cough up this clear maddening mucous that seems to be stuck in my throat. I went to one of the BEST ENT doctors in Houston and he said I must have a high sodium blood count. NOT! He is dead wrong....I had the blood work taken and Sodium count is normal. I also have the right eye continually tearing down my face. I bet it is tearing down my throat also as tears are salty. Maddening to say the least. Happy Holidays to All.

wow. I just found this thread (and the huge previous one which started it), as I am experiencing the salty mouth issue as well.
    I have had salty mouth for about a month now.
    It could be stress, but I am very curious as to where people experiencing this are located? is this a problem mostly in America, or worldwide?
    I am in the DFW area of North Texas.

thanks

I too have a salty taste in my mouth that seems to be coming from the back of my tongue or maybe near one of my upper teeth. I recently had a bout of acute bronchitis and the salty taste seemed to start as that was nearing its end. A major factor I think as well is we have been running our heater at night (we have young kids - need to keep em warm) and I am a mouth breather at night. Every night for the last week I have been waking up with an extremely dry mouth - totally dry. So I am not sure if the dry mouth has become an ideal breeding ground for bacteria - or maybe the dry mouth has caused damage to my taste buds. Near the tail end of my bronchits the doctor gave me some inhalers to help clear out my broncial tubes - I later read that these inhalers can cause thrush. So good lord - I have read every single entry in all these threads and I am still not sure what it is or what to do - thanks to all of you for your time and entries - it will help in the long run.

Wow! Thank God Im not crazy.I have had the problem with the back and sides of my tongue taste as if have eaten sea salt. Had been a month or so. I drink water from a steam generated water system where water is 99.9% pure and needs to have minerals put back in. I had dental surgery a year ago and had all teeth removed so it's not teeth. I Smoke, drink 1 to 2 cups coffee a day. 2 or more decaf green tea. Use very little to no salt. Eat very little processed foods. Eat greek yogurt ect. As much live fruits and veggies as I can.Oh, how many have diabetes or liver disease? I do. Wonder if there is a conection there? I would love to know your answers. Nice to meet you all.