My father is 65 years old and lately I have noticed he has a problem. I realized this because he lost interest in food and eating. When I talk to him, he said he has lack of taste, so that surprised me. I have never heard something like that can happen, so I am worried for his health. I do not know what to do, can you tell me could it be something seriously.

Taste buds on the tongue can distinguish sweet, salty, sour and bitter tastes. Anyway, the sensation of flavor in foods is a combination of smell and taste. The ability to taste and smell slowly declines with age, so that is not so rare what you reported. Physicians think that half of all people between 65 and 80 have lost some sense of smell, and taste. Sometimes the problem can be traced to a zinc deficiency, which is first thing I could recommend you. It is important that the supplements be taken in the amounts prescribed his doctor. Taking too much can cause some side effects, so it is better to avoid that unnecessary complication. Problem is now that lack of taste may affect desire for food, so it is important that he maintain a well-balanced diet. He needs to get the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals, as well as other nutrients. If he will not or cannot eat, his doctor may prescribe dietary supplements and vitamins he needs for normal life.