I had my tonsils removed 6 weeks ago. My throat has finally healed but I still have not regained my appetite. Everything tastes awful. I do notice that I'm having a lot of post nasal drip. Not sure if this is relevant but I had my tonsils removed because of tonsilloliths.

I'm having other medical issues and not sure what is causing the appetite issues.

Could the taste problem be a result of the tonsillectomy, is so when will it go away? Thanks for any input....

It is definitely from the surgery. Had mine out Oct 3 and most things still taste lousy. There is some (rather technical) information out there, but seems that this side effect happens in about 12% of adult tonsillectomies. the wetter the food is the less noticeable, so soups and stews are pretty good. Any bread is just awful - sandwiches are a waste of time. My Dr. said 3 more weeks 2 weeks ago, but it doesn't seems a whole lot better since then and I'm getting pretty disgusted.
I'm an (admitedly amateur) chef for god sakes, how am I ever going to know if my creations are good enough to present to my guests!

anyone for whom this condition has finally gone away please give me some hope!

%-) Well, can anyone out there share a bit of good news regarding their "post-tonsillectomy" and taste disturbance? I haven't heard back from anyone that has written in with concern about this issue. I am still hopeful, it has only been 3 weeks and I am not giving up and I feel sooooo much better than I did before the tonsillectomy so it was WORTH IT! No matter what it will be much better than before, my health has already improved and I've only lost about 10 lbs through it all even though I have no taste or desire to eat. But I am trying to eat because I need to live ya know? I have alot to live for so it could always be worse! Please reply if you have any info on this issue. Thanks a jillion!

Well I am 23 and I got mine out on the 15th of November. I feel a lot better than I did about a week ago, but I am still having the issues you speak of. It is hard to eat when nothing tastes good... I finally forced myself to eat a chicken fajita burrito with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream only.... I couldn't decide for the life of me what it tasted like. It is aggrivating, but as I am only on 2 1/2 weeks, I have high hope that everything will be back to normal sooner than I think.... or atleast more than what it is now...

:-) Thank you for your response. Don't you wonder what happened to everyone else that posted? Maybe this is good news for us. My hubby called the doctor and she said that my mouth was soo small and therefore she had to push down on my tounge so much that it could have damaged the nerves or taste buds and could take up to 4 months to return. Everyone that I tell about about this say"Oh I wish that was my problem" Oh yeah right! It's so wierd because I normally don't want food or food is not "my problem" per say and I definetely don't have problems with sweets--got over that along with puberty hehe XD Anyway now I really WISH that I could just taste that chocolate pie that I didn't appreciate--along with EVERYTHING else. Ah well I guess I am the right person for this to happen to b-cuz I shouldn't take it too hard. How much did you loose during all this? I think I've only lost 10-12 and thats a miracle b-cuz I don't eat that much I have to MAKE myself eat. (I've always kinda been like that --ugh!) Wish I would've done a little differently----hmmmm....little regret in my voice if you know what I mean? well, you keep on being careful and don't do anything "scratchy" I'm glad to hear youre recovering well--have you read all the things people go through with this? Man, I think I've got it GOOD AND I MEAN GOOD! Chat at ya later--drink lots...too TaTa...I'ts snowing and so lovely! Yeah!

Well... I must say that last night I did indulge myself with a deep dish pizza... still funny tasting, but it was a lot more than I have been able to eat in a while! So it was nice! That has got to be the worst thing I have ever heard! I dont think I could live without taste buds for four months! That is nuts! It is hard enough for three weeks let alone four months! Gosh! I know what you mean though... you really do appreciate everything when you can't taste it! Well I'm sorry that you might have to wait that long for everything to return to normal.... My throat just feels like I've got a sore throat ..... so hopefully recovery isnt too far away! I have read a lot of the comments about "post-tonsillectomy" and pretty much every topic about tonsillectomys.... and frankly some of their stories are a little frightening! o.O I thought I had it a little rough, but I suppose I have been luckier than I thought! Take care!

;-) Well, it sounds like you are progressing nicely. I am sooo glad. It's funny cuz I don't remember feeling the "soar throat. I don't remember much b'cuz of the thrush. It was so horrific!! Did you not have trouble with that? Did you take antibiotics afterwards? If so which one? Two of my kids(out of 4) had theirs out by3 and they did GREAT! But I do feel blessed and Oh so much better now. Did they "shave" your hangy down thing? They didn't tell me they did but it does look so different to me and it looks smaller and shorter than it did before. How about them "scabs"? Can you see them? Why did you have yours out? How old are you if you don't mind me asking??? %-) Anyway, I eat LOTS of hot sauce and can't taste it a bit. Hubby is still hopeful and bought me "salt and vinegar" pringles and I couldn't even taste em usually I start salvitating at the git go! NOTHING THIS TIME. But onion is delightful and anything hot as it does SOMETHING for me that I cannot explain. Well, its late, I'll just wait to hear back. Take care of yourself and take it easy but enjoy what you do get to eat. Oh by the way are you telling me that you CAN TASTE? JUST CHECKING? I am doing ZINC pretty heavily just in case I was already on the way to having this already before the T/S. Bye for now.

I had my tonsils out on Nov 20th and my sense of taste is still not normal, which I assume is attributed to the scabs. I gargle with warm salt & baking-soda water everyday to help heal my throat and help the scabs fall off. I am still in pain and have a lot of colorful drainage down the back of my throat, which still may be the mono.

What a good idea. I forgot about all that garggling(sp) anyway. You say you don't have any taste or is it just distorted? It is hard to tell huh? So many things going on inside your mouth huh? On wednesday after my surgery on November 2nd which was a thursday, I can remember choking real bad and hacking all this stuff out...I'm pretty sure that I coughed up all the scabs and stuff, b/c I didn't see any after that night. I am still having to hack up(sorry for the graffic detail) mucous and whatever it is in the back of my throat--I'll have to leave a room or stop talking b/c it is so bad and fills up the back of my throat like it is gagging me. So that sounds normal from what I can remember. The worst and wierdest thing is that you actually forget about all this. The only thing really left is the loss of taste. Let me know if you get your taste back and I will be so happy. Keep garggling :-D

Well... I can taste when I first bite into the food, but I cant when it is the back of my mouth... which I know sounds weird... but I CAN NOT for the life of me taste anything with sugar in it... which is all I have been craving!!! Even chocolate tastes salty to me! It stinks! So I think I can taste half way... maybe. I am still not sure myself! I am 23, no I dont mind you asking, and I got my tonsils out because I was having a lot of problems with Tonsilitus, and Strep... Up to 10 times a year, for the past 5 years. So I think I made the right decision, although my doctor told me that I should have had them out two years ago from how bad they were torn up. They also had to dig deeper than normal, which I think is why it is taking me a little longer to recover. I am supposed to go to my post op on Friday, but I will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the feedback it helps to know that other people are going through the same thing! You take care too!

Question :-D Did your doc tell you this might happen or to expect it? I think I might have good news :-D I think think think I may be getting my taste back--why do I say this you ask? Well, I don't just get disguested with food when I put it in my mouth, like I did and have for the last month. And hot is getting hotter which is more normal, just Sunday I put something stronger than tabasco on everything I ate at lunch and couldn't taste any of it! Today I ate hot/hot/hot peanuts and they were HOT! So, what does that tell you? Maybe just maybe it is coming back slowly and in a wierd way. I am so excited. Maybe I will get in on the christmas festivities after all. Food is everything to so many people, incl. my husband, so it will really help if I can taste all the JOYS of life. Yes, chocolate is something that I have been craving too and I don't crave chocolate!!!!! Wierd huh? Are you taking ZINC? It certainly won't hurt you, so get you a bottle and take one a day (or more if you're me) Anyway I can't wait til you get your report on Fri. Yeah! I am glad you did this now--did you feel 100% as soon as you woke up like I did? It made all the difference to me! I WISH I would have done this sooner than 35! You will be soooo much healthier! -Keep in touch......DD

That is such good news!!! I havent even tried to eat spicey yet, I am afraid that there are still a few raw patches back there, and I would hate to feel the burn.... But yes that is weird about the chocolate... I think it all goes back to not being able to know the REAL taste of things... A month is a long time to not have taste and if you think about it... if you ate any of those things prior to the surgery, I would think that you would crave it ALL especially sweet and salty, since that is what your tastebuds differenciate. You know? Or maybe I am trying to be to philosophical... oh well, all that matters is that you are getting better!!! yay!!! I am curious to see what the doc is going to say also! Well I may try the zinc thing... I usually eat these things called Gojiberries/Chinese Wolfberries, dont know if you have ever heard of them, but they are loaded with TONS of vitamins and minerals.. I have just been able to start eating those again... so hopefully they will help boost the immune system! Anyway, I will let you know how the check in goes! I hope you get to enjoy your Christmas! You keep me updated as well! I hope everything gets better... atleast there are still a couple of weeks before the festivities begin! :-D Oh yeah, and NO I was not informed that the tastebuds would be effected during the surgery... which is sad, I think if youre going to have the procedure they should tell you EVERY possible side effect that you could encounter. Anyway... I'll talk to you soon!

well, what did you find out and how are you doing? I am doing better everyday. Maybe this is why people have not wrote in after a month or so! I am not tasting everything but I can tell there is HOPE. There is still so much that have no taste and it is just blah but it's not absolutely nasty like it was for soo long. I still feel like there is SOMETHING laying on the back of my tounge I can't hardly explain it. It's like I wish I could use something and press down on my tounge so I can see what it is. Maybe my tounge is still swollen somehow. Anyway no real big deal, I am just hopeful still for a complete recovery. How are you doing today? Are you seeing some results and feeling relief that you will soo be soo well. Did I tell you I had a bug bite on my eye lid since June 06 and couldn't get it to go down OR go away, and the day of my surgery it began going away, and one day about a month into it it just BURST open with blood and pus and infection and it is almost COMPLETELY gone. Is this AMAZING or what? I give the tonsilectomy credit for this the infection is not running rampant like it was and my body is feeling a tremendous sigh of relief. Write soon and tell me what the doc said? :-D

Ok, so the doc said that everything is progressing how it should.... EXCEPT, she did perscribe me a mouthwash called nystaten oral suspension, which you may find interesting... is actually an anti-fungal agent. My doctor said that "fugus" could be the problem with taste and why I still feel sore back there, and if I use this mouthwash that hopefully my taste should return to normal.... apparently the fungal thing is VERY common. So maybe if you are still having problems with the taste thing you should ask your doc if there is anyway it could be related. Anyway... I tried using it today, and I think my body is SO tired of being on medication (codiene) that when I put it in my mouth I really could not even use it, made me gag. Anyway, I hope that even if I cant use it all the time, the times that I get in will help. SO... new facts for the day :-) Anyway, well that is a gross but good thing! haha.... About your bite, but I am glad to hear that it got better! Amazing what some things can do for your body, huh? You would never think a tonsillectomy would cure an infection, well besides one in your throat. Anyway, just wanted to post you! Talk to you later!

Simply unbelievable. I am somewhat relieved to hear that you may have the issue I did. I did a double on that nystatin--but it wasn't a mouth wash it was the actual 5 day pill dosage I had it soo bad and whats wierder is that I haven't heard ANYBODY else talk or mention this. What was so bad about it? I have a bottle that I keep on hand and it isin't at all good no matter what the issue is with your taste so bear with it and use it when you can atleast manage to get it down. If to no avail its a NO WAY HOSEA than request the pill, the one you have is for swish and rinse or do you swallow this now? It's been so long. Did you know that my husband should of had his tonsills out when he was 33 and b/c he took Nystatin and Diflucan real heavy dosage for three months solid his tonsils shrunk completely and he hasn't been sick since and he is now 42! COOL huh I wouldn't be so lucky tho and I blame him for all my tonsils issues--almost 17 yrs of marriage and 4 kids later I can do that huh? Ah well he's good to me so I can deal with it! Hope your having good holidays--so much going on! How are you feeling and tasting? I thought everyday my taste would improve drastically and well, that hasn't happened and I ate a vinegar/salt chip tonight and got a little zing and I mean little. Hot is definetely hot and yesterday we went to IHOP one of my fav places for breakfast and nothing was spectacular, and I am still having trouble swallowing and having alot of mucos. Are you too? Anway write when you get a minute. Blessings to you,