:? I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor for little of nothing. I am married with two kids in school, single income home. My husband is self employed. So anyway, I googled symptoms that turned up today and am kind of freaking out. I hope someone will read this and respond in a way that will alleviate my fears. I quit smoking on Jan 3 after 20 years and that could be relevant or not. I suffer frequently from allergies and sinusitis. I have had thick mucus in my throat for a week. Having been a smoker, this is no biggie. So the symptom in question is these rather large red bumps on the back of my tongue. I was trying again to brush this disgusting yellowish stuff off my tongue(which tastes gross and makes my breath stink-something i thought would dissapear if i quit smoking). I was brushing hard pretty far back and hurt myself. So when i opened wide in front of the mirror, I saw large red bumps on the top back of my tongue. Some of the things suggested by my google were inflamed taste buds caused by spicy foods, mononucleosis, hiv or aids, and that's all that sticks out in my mind. Please tell me is this nothing of something?

i have the exact same thig wrong with me and have been freaking out , ive had mine since july and have been 2 the doctor with it twice, both ties the antibiotics failed and im now waiting to see a specialist,

I have quit smoking several times in my life (I was a 15 yr smoker) and every time I quit, after a few days, my taste buds swelled up. A doctor told me years ago that this is from the taste buds regenerating, especially after having the poisons from the smoking no longer affecting them. They usually go away after a few weeks. Seems like a long time, but if you can hang in there, it's worth it. If you stay quit, you'll be able to taste how wonderful food is! :-) Hope this helps!

hi the same thing is happening to me but im still a smoker . I have had it since i was 18y old they gave me meds but they didnt work then they gave me some stuff to put on after i brushed . it has nothing to do with hiv or aids. the red bumps are your taste buds coming back but the yellow is some kind of fungi

I Gave up smoking a month, and went through the same symptoms, yellow tongue with nasty smelly breath and of coarse the red bumps was there on the back of tongue. I went doctors and it turned out that when you stop smoking, your stomach starts to generate more acid causing the yellow tongue, the red bumps are normal and sometimes they just go up for no reason could be down to smoking or could be due to acid reflux. Doctor put me on a coarse of Ranitidine to reduce acid reflux and the amount of acid my stomach was producing and after 2 days yellow tongue gone, settled stomach, breath didn't smell, I have been assured the red lumps are nothing to worry about and normally go down with in a few days and to go back if no change. I only noticed them cos I kept looking at my yellow tongue.

I was checking up on this HIV / AIDS and cancer thing as i was worried too, the pics show that these are more flat red smooth sores and would be very painful too.

Hopes this helps the next person to end up here lol :-)

Well this site is simply a relief. I too was freaking out. Thinking I had some disease and I saw my doctor which initially said I had a bacterial infection based on the painless red bumps on the far back of tongue. Turns out the prescription he gave me was an antibiotic that caused oral thrush (yeast infection) on top of the red bumps. So after days of being on the meds no real significant change of these bumps, aside from the addition of oral thrush, so I then went to the hospital and he told me I have a virus if the antibiotics aren't working. I demanded they do a strep and mono test to be safe. Still waiting on results. On top of it all I went to Planned Parenthood and got a full HIV/STD screening fearing that as well (note:they do not do mouth screenings for std's). All was Negative. Then I thought about the fact that maybe it was the quitting smoking and that made the most sense. Apparently smoking (for me after 20 yrs) paralyzes your nerves in your body, which is what relieves your stress when you smoke or deters the ability to feel the effect of stress. When you stop smoking and the nicotine leaves your body your nerve endings that never were used for a long time are now becoming unparalyzed and are going nuts, leaving you to the true sensation of things like taste and feel. I know the stomache acid changing makes sense to me because all of a sudden I get a tingling sensation from tomato sauces or salsa too. My body has been rejecting so many foods and I believe its because to the body these are reacting with the stomache acid and the nerves are now getting the true tomato effect, spicy food, etc , effect. I got off the meds and now just gargle with salt water and take vitamins to help keep my immune system stay healthy. The stress from the "not knowing" fear can weaken the immune system in itself by causing anxiety. For the oral thrush I scrap my tongue with a spoon and stay away from breads or any yeasts, sugars, etc.. I only had that for about 2 days and it appears to be going away. There are some websites to look up foods that are not recommended with a yeast infection , which is the yellowish build up on your tongue. Also know that tomato and Potato are called nightshade foods that contain Nicotine. This also may be why my body rejects them.Good Luck and I'm curious if anyone else gets the tingling in the face? Reaction from foods like tomato? Good luck and good health!

I went to the doctor and they told me that i may have oral thrush due to antibiotics (flagyl) and it coulve cause an yeast infection in my mouth so the gave me a prescription of Diflucan 150 which didn't seem to help any so I went back they gave me an hiv test that was negative and told me that he wasn't sure of the cause but he was sure that I would be fine I'm terrified because my tongue and a thick yellow coating and red dots on the back of my tongue no sores or blisters but I refuse to believe with no meds it will go away on its own the doctors only suggestion is that I stop smoking and every thing seems fine and it isn't trush it's been a whole week and I so embarrassed I don't kno what to do I will feel much better if I knew the cause or had something that will help it go away the red dots scare me the most is there anything else u suggest I do to help it go away please and thanks