Hi, my job requires me to travel a lot. Unfortunately, I never feel well after the journey, because I suffer from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. When I get out of the plain or bus, I feel dizzy and have symptoms like rocking and nausea. Can anyone tell me how can I treat this condition, because it’s really important that I keep this job? Thanks

Hello, I was diagnosed with Mal de Debarquement Syndrome four years ago, when I got back from a journey, and had symptoms like rocking, nausea and constant headaches. The biggest problem was that these symptoms lasted couple of months. Mal de Debarquement Syndrome can be triggered by any prolonged motion, but the exact cause of this condition is unknown. Some doctors think that this is a psychiatric condition, something like depression. The others think that Mal de Debarquement Syndrome is related to hormones, and there are even those doctors who think this is just a type of a migraine. If they were in my shoes, they would know better. This is more serious than any migraine. There is no specific method for treating this condition, and it usually disappears without any direct treatment. So, good luck!

I have had MDDS for four years onset by a short cruise in rough seas.
It comes and goes and can last for months at a time.
I recently got it back and had a severe case was taken to ER.
I'm finding weather changes in pressure make it worse and sinus or congestion and take over the couter sinus meds help a lot.
I'm going to see some more specialist and there is some useful info and a doctor who can help at Vestibular.org.
He seems to have found a type of cure using Valium and another drug.

I found that doing exercises 1) standing on one leg, eyes closed, 2) shaking head NO and then YES first slowly and then faster have worked. These are from my vestibular therapist and they really did work. I have had it for 6 years on and off and this is the only thing that helps. also acupuncture (for treatment of gallbladder and FLEM according to chinese medicine) and the seabands for motionsickness all help. good luck.

I have been battling MDDS for 4 months after the worst plane ride I've ever been on. Vestibular rehab and anti-anxiety medications have been helpful. It comes and goes and I can't figure out why one day is better than the next. Good luck!

Try Sturgeron Forte

I had MDDS and was about to go crazy. I went to the Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis TN. They perform perfusion treatments and it works. Check out theri information on the web site. World famous Dr for ear disease.

My wife has been battleing this disease for the past 6 months. Some days are good and some days are bad. Why cant Doctors find a cure for this disease?? No one has a cure for this and the Dr's we have been to have recomend nothing. If anyone has a real cure for this please let me know.

I suffered from this about 7 years ago after going on a 7 day cruise in extremely rough seas. My doctor tried everything from steroids to motion sickness medicine. It was miserable. I was having difficulty at work and was really getting down about it. Finally as a last resort, my doc prescribed a very small dose of ativan (he says it supresses vestibular response and his theory was that my vestibular system was over reacting). To this day I don't know if he really thought I was crazy or if he thought I had a vestibular problem, but within one week the symptoms disappeared and I threw the ativan away and never took it again!

Subsequently I got a few bouts of BPV which was a different issue and very treatable by exercises. After 7 years without a problem I went out again on rough seas on a small fishing boat for two days and ended up with serious BPV (Positional Vertigo) the very next day with ear popping and ear pain. I did the exercises which again greatly reduced the positional vertigo and got rid of the ear pain, but now I am getting the familiar rocking and dizziness from the Mal De Barquement syndrome. The symptoms seem to be getting worse to the point where I am nervous walking up and down stairs so I am debating on whether to wait longer (its been 2 weeks since the boat ride) or go to the doctor here ( I am in a different country now) and get a prescription for Ativan to see if it works again.

This link to Donna Eden's energy routine is helping me. Have your wife give it a try. She also has a couple of books on the market which you can find on Amazon.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi there,

I have suffered Mal de Debarquement Syndrome for almost five years. The first 6 months was the worst as I thought I too was going crazy. I was officially diagnosed and put on clonazepam, which made the symptoms more tolerable. My ENT said that the only chance I had to "cure" this syndrome was exercise, more specifically he recommended yoga, tai chi, or pilates, yoga being his top choice. This was because of the many changes in head position, it acted kind of like vestibular therapy. He said it was very important that I do this every day for at least 60 minutes. So I embarked on a two-year hot yoga routine. The result was that it did not cure my syndrome, but it did help to relax me, reduce my stress level, and help me sleep, all of which are so important in decreasing the MDDS symptoms. I've pretty much resigned myself to a life with this, and cannot function without the medication.

I have written a few articles about coping with MDDS and yoga, I will include the links here, and hope they helpful to anyone suffering from this frustrating condition:

I would try: stand up straight, crossing your arms opposite hand to shoulder and slowly squat down without releasing hands, then squat up, do this several times until the rocking stops

Just wondering where this exercise has been used and if it really works and how

I had this for the first time after a seven day ocean cruise. It lasted for quite a while and kept me from functioning properly. One day for lunch I went to an Asian restaurant and had several cups of green tea with my meal. After the meal I noticed I felt much better. It lasted about a day, so I drank more green tea to help with the symptoms... and it worked. I continued drinking several cups of green tea a day for a few weeks as my symptoms gradually subsided. They are completely gone now! I read that green tea helped rats with spatial awareness, not sure if that is it or not. All I know is my symptoms went from extremely debilitating, to the point where I could not concentrate on the task at hand, to being absolutely gone! It is an inexpensive thing to try... why not? Just a note I drank straight green tea, not mixed with other flavors or teas, with nothing else in it.

I definately agree with a hormonal basis to Mal Debarqument syndrome. I experienced it after a 5 day cruise to Mexico. I have been on previous cruises (of longer duration) and have never had a problem. The only difference was this time was that I was on birth control and I discontinued it before getting off the boat due to moodiness. When I got home, I felt like I was rocking, rolling, and spinning. It has been one month and I got my period and the symptoms have improved tremendously. Due to the shift in my hormone status being related to the onset and disappearance of my symptoms I can't help but believe there is a hormone treatment available out there for this disorder.