Hi, my sister is 44 years old and she had a stroke a week ago. I was so shocked, I didn’t know how could this happen when she’s still young, but then the doctor explained me that she has a condition called vertebral artery syndrome. Does anybody know something more about this condition?

Hi, I also have vertebral artery syndrome. I was diagnosed with it a year ago when I visited a doctor because of some symptoms like dizziness, nystagmus, and collapse without unconsciousness. This symptoms may be the consequences of rotation of the cervical spine, which can lead to occlusion of the vertebral artery. The symptoms can also be headache, dysarthria, paresis of one or more of the extremities and blurred vision. Vertebral artery syndrome is almost the same thing as vertebral artery compression syndrome and vertebral-basilar artery insufficiency. My neck and face often hurt, and it is difficult to move my head. I heard that this condition is one of the most common causes of stroke in patients younger than 45. The hematoma in the vessel wall can arise spontaneously, like in my case, but it can also be a result of minor trauma.

I have not been diagnosed with VAS as of yet, but had a recent neck injury and about 11 weeks into it after chiropractic are and PT started haveing Vertigo. Repetative movement of the head back and forth and up and down enhance the vertigo effect. Pain at back of skull, few headaches, forgetfullness, sound magnification, fullness in ears. Does this sound like VAS?

No, you are actually describing the symptoms of vestibular migraine. some of the symptoms can overlap but what gives it away in your case if the full ears, sound magnification, headaches, and the brain fog. CLASSIC migraine. see a neurologist and see if you can get that squared away. Getting a brain MRI, CT scan, and brain/neck MRA are all very non-invasive, and can help put your mind at ease that the problem is simply migraine. If these tests are all normal, there is a high probability that this is all migraine. however, I should mention that CT angiography is the gold standard for diagnosing VAS. Still, these other tests are extremely useful and can show plenty of evidence of VAS. Strokes or infracts caused by VAS often show up on routine MRI. MRA often pick up occluded or dissected vertebral arteries themselves. transcranial ultrasound is rarely useful. I hope that helps