Hi, in the last couple of months, I’ve been having strong headaches along with vertigo and dizziness. I thought they will disappear, but it was the opposite. They were increasing until the pain became unbearable. I went to doctor, and he diagnosed me with vestibular migraines. Is this condition difficult to cure?

Hi, I suffered from vestibular migraines for a long time. First it started just with headaches, but then I started to loose my balance too. It is so difficult to cope with this condition! I was completely useless every time I had a seizure. I couldn’t keep my eyes opened, because I thought I would faint. All the things around me were constantly spinning, along with the room. Vestibular migraines made me extreme sensitive to light and noise. I just wanted to run away from the whole world to the small dark room and sleep. My seizures lasted from half an hour to hour and a half. I haven’t experienced vestibular migraines for the last three months because of calcium channel blockers treatment.

Cleopatra- I'm in the same situation. Nothing has been still for over a year. My neurologist just decided it was vestibular migraines and has started me on zonagran, which hasn't helped yet. Can you tell me more about calcium channel blockers?

I did not experience headaches but after missing 9 months of work due to severe vertigo I was examined at Johns Hopkins where I was diagnosed with vetibular migraines.

Do yourself a favor and read the book:

Heal Your Headache: The 1-2-3 Program for Taking Charge of Your Pain by David Buchholz

I had the same problem. I was experiencing nausea, dizziness, stuffy ears, etc. I went to multiple doctors including the ER. I was finally seen at Johns Hopkins by an ear specialist that diagnosed me with Vestibular Migraines. He told me to read the Heal your Headache book and put me on a special food diet. It has completely changes my life. I'm now able to function daily, I just need to watch what I eat especially anything with MSG.

I have these comments so very helpful....thank you all. I have just been diagnosed with Vestibula Migraine by and Ear Nose and Throat Specialist: after years of suffering and even being told that I had Meniere's Disease. Now I need to see a Neurologist. I had such vicious vertigo attacks, I just knew that I had a brain tumor. I was debilitated for months when I had my first major attack in 1994. It took me months to be able to stop my world from spinning. I will read this book and I pray that it helps. The comment that helped me the most, was the one who said that after months of spinning....... I could not understand how a migraine could have had me out of sorts that that long or a period of time......

Looking at Poumpkin's post, I know how scary it is to have undiagnoses/untreated vertigo attacks. I have had mine for 6 years now and decided to write my own website about it dizziness-and-vertigo dot com. Good luck.

I have been suffering from Vestibular Migraine for 14 months, 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. How can a migraine last this long? I am under a Neurologist that keeps telling me..."You will get better". My life is like living on a boat at sea, I am constantly nausea's and occasionally vomit. I feel like I am walking forward, but infact, I am walking to the right. My entire body is off balance, and feel so bad at times, I am on the verge of falling over, as if I am falling off a cliff. I have tried Topamax which made me sicker, and is such a potent drug, I put 7 kg in 11 weeks when I took sandomigran, Isoptin dropped my blood pressure really low, and I have been on Dothep for 4 months and it has done nothing. I am also taking all the vitamins my Neurologist has suggested (magnesium, riboflavin, feverfew) and nothing has helped. Is there anyone that can hep me??????????????? :'(

take stemetil

I'm a 31 year old female. I've suffered with vestibular migraines (VM) since the age of 14. Of course, it took a long time to acurately diagnose me. In my teens I would have vertigo attacks following a stressful situation, e.g., exams. It would only last a few minutes but it would be enough to knock me out for a day or so. My doctor as the time attributed the vertigo to anxiety though I never felt that was the right diagnosis. I then had a period of three years where I had no attacks but in 2002 I started having severe classic migraines and severe vertigo. The headaches left but the vertigo attacks lasted for 6 months, 24/7, with vomitting, sensitivity to sound & light, and all that other fun stuff. I was then diagnosed with early stage Meniere's. So, for the next 5 years I stuck to a strict low sodium diet (less than 800 mg per day) and did regular exercise (yoga, pilates, walking, hiking). The vertigo eventually disappeared and I was totally symptom free for those five years. Then, after a divorce and much stress, I started having very severe vertigo attacks in 2008, lasting 45-60 minutes with vomitting etc. I was then diagnosed with VM. I have not been able to work for nearly two years now. I was nearly bed ridden for the better part of 2008, with 2-3 long attacks (30 min +) and many shorter attacks (less than 10 mins) per day. I tried acupuncture, chiropractor, deep tissue massage and finally, after trying many all natural forms of treatment, I am now on a mild tri-cyclic antidepressant (50 mg/day at night). It seems to have helped me sleep. I was still sick in 2009 but was able to function a bit better. I read Heal Your Headache, abided strictly to the elimination diet for a year, walked twice a day for 30 minutes, started taking calcium-magnesium supplements and now visit a massage therapist twice a month who performs "cranial sacral therapy" on me. I really believe it is a combination of all these things, and just the passage of time, that has brought me back to about 80% full potential! I feel for every single person suffering with this terrible condition. No one else can really understand how awful it really is. I hope you all can work through this and find something that brings you back to "you"!

YES!!! this is exactly how ive felt!!! Ive forced myself through work, day in day out. Gone through a number of jobs because I just couldnt cope! I cant play sport, I cant go out, I cant do anything!

My ENT has shipped me off to a neurologist, whom ill be seeing in 4 weeks. He said he thought id been misdiagnosed and mistreated for the last 14 years!

I hope he is right, I just cant wait to get my life back!!!!!

i have been through all of this for over a year now. the only drug that helped me is Epilim combined with lexapro. im still dizzy around my period but i can function again. better than being stuck in bed spinning.

I have been suffering from dizziness for almost 4 years now. It originally started out as just feeling off balance when I sat for long periods of time but then I started feeling it when I would stand and then when I would work out. For awhile, I stopped driving altogether and now I only drive for short distances. I am in college so it is so hard to keep up with everyone else. The most frustrating thing is that no one else knows that I feel this dizziness constantly, every day. It is a hidden condition. I take valium and glycoporate. I have gotten two MRIs that have both been clear. I have done vestibular rehab for 2 months but there was no difference. I just finished a month of Topomax, but I found no difference with that either. If anyone has any ideas of steps to take next, please let me know. I've seen every neurologist for the ear, eyes, brain, etc. 

Hey,
So I have had some of the worse luck with migraines. I got my first migraine 6 years ago did not know what it was. Pretty much just lived with alot of pain in my head for a couple years and kept on trucking. I did not even know what a Migraine was just though I had bad head aches or a tumor. I got a bad sinus infection and took a antibiotic and it made (Triggered) my migraine 100x worse. I got a lot of pressure behind my eyes. Like a knife stabbing in my eye. The more I used my eyes the more pressure I got. With in a month I had to quite school. I could not drive or work. I could not do anything. I was stuck on a couch and all I could do is listen to t.v. I could not look in the mirror. Read a label. Most of the time I could not even tie my shoes. If I tried any of these it would just get worse. So there I sat. Appointment after appointment. With nothing helping. Doctors not knowing what was going on. Some were starting to say it was all in my head. (Trust me I get paid to snowboard. If I could have been doing anything I would have.) My 21st birthday went by. No friends, no going out. Just me sitting there listening to News, Sports talk shows, and the 70's show. Almost 2 years went by and finally with all the Medication I was on and Natural things my eyes opened up and I could use them with out bad things happening! I take amatriptalyn and verapimil. But the biggest thing I have took is Magnesium (Naturally Calm) Since I got rid of that Migraine I have not had a "Migraine" and swear the magnesium cures it. (Try It!) Well sort of. I had another sinus infection and guess what a different antibiotic triggered another type of Migraine. A vestibular migraine. It sucks. Thought I must have a ear infection or something stupid. So I went to the ent. Got sent to abunch of specialist and took a bunch of test. The diagnosed it as a vestibular migraine. Said well your pretty much doing every thing you can. Told me what foods to eat. (Which I was already doing.) Good luck. So its been almost a year now. Still dizzy 24/7. If I eat super healthy I can minumize it. But as soon as I eat any thing like cheese, meat, fruit snacks, almonds. It makes it alot worse. I would love to drink 1 beer but that really makes me dizzy. Almost a month setback. So I am still working on that. I am 23. I really do not want to be dizzy for the rest of my life. So im going to keep searching for a cure. My best advise is learn what foods to eat. Take Magnesium. (There is also alot of other things like butter bur, feverfew...etc.) Do not get discouraged. Keep on fighting and things will get better. Ya I am dizzy always. But I will take this any day over being as good as dead for two years! If any one knows of any natural things to try to get rid of the dizzyness please let me know!

Does anyone have an opinion or facts related to vm and cns sarcoidosis?