I have oral surgical procedure recently. The procedure has done under the anesthesia and few days after I was under drugs for the pain. The day after I stopped with post-op therapy I had experienced weird sensation in my tongue, like pins and needles. I came back and told my surgeon. He said that is most probably mandibuar nerve injury cause of this feeling, I still nave little numbness there. I am going to do MR tomorrow. I just wanted to know what mandibular nerve is and where is it in the heard. Thank you

The mandibular nerve is the third and inferior most division of the trigeminal nerve. The trigeminal nerve is the fifth cranial nerve and predominantly a sensory nerve, innervating most of the face. The upper branch of the trigeminal nerve is called the ophthalmic nerve and innervates the forehead. The middle branch is called the maxillary nerve and innervates the maxilla and the midface and the lower branch is called the mandibular nerve and innervates the teeth and the mandible, the lateral mucosa of the mandible, and the mucosa and skin of the cheek, lower lip and chin. The mandibular nerve gives branches to the tongue and to the soft tissues of the cheek, before it enters the bone. I am not dentist or surgeon but I guess that it is possible to have sensation like pins and needles in the mouth when the nerve is injured. I hope you’ll be ok.