Hi, folks. My friend ended up in a hospital. It all started like trigeminal neuralgia. However, after some testing, it seems that he has multiple sclerosis. I would like to know if neuralgia of this cranial nerve is common in MS. What can you tell me about this? I will appreciate all your replies.

Hello to you too. Trigeminal neuralgia is the pain that affects the areas that are innervated by trigeminal nerve. Trigeminal nerve is the fifth cranial nerve. It innervates areas of the forehead and eye, the cheek and the jaw. In most cases, it affects only one side of the face. In less than 5% of all cases, it affects both sides. Then it is called bilateral neuralgia. It can be trigged by many factors. Some of them are: laughing, chewing, brushing the teeth, etc. MS is one of the possible causes. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, folks. Multiple sclerosis is not so uncommon cause of trigeminal neuralgia. However, it can be caused by other factors as well. It can often be associated with depression. Some people relieve this using some alternative treatment options. Those would be: chiropractic adjustment, acupuncture, self-hypnosis and mediation. It can also be treated with drugs. Most used ones are: Tegretol, Dilantin, Baclofen, Clonazepam, Lamictal, etc. You can discuss details with your friend’s doctor. I hope I’ve helped a little.

Hi, everyone. Multiple sclerosis is a disease with various signs and symptoms. It is all result of myelin destruction. Myelin is a layer around the nerve fibers. When it is destroyed, then the nerve impulse conduction is compromised. Trigeminal neuralgia is the result of the destruction of myelin of trigeminal nerve. That is where these symptoms come from. I hope this helps. If you find out something more, please let me know. Bye!