My uncle has been diagnosed with Temporal-Mandibular Disorder. It is said that this condition occurs when a muscle in the jaw called Masseter muscle is tensed for a longer period of time. I am interested in different muscles in our body and I have never heard of this one. Can anybody tell me something about this Masseter muscle? Thx in advance

I am just studying about different muscles in human’s body and may be able to tell you a little bit about this Masseter muscle. It is one of the most powerful muscles for its size in the body. It originates from the zygomatic arch ( cheek bone ) and inserts into the mandible. It raises the jaw and clenches the teeth. This muscle functions to chew food. It got its name from the Greek language and is associated with angry and aggressive states. This muscle is supplied with blood by the superficial temporal, maxillary, and facial arteries.