Hi, I have a very unpleasant feeling like I can’t move my eye muscles. It’s almost like they’re paralyzed. I went to a doctor, and he told me it could be a Miller Fisher’s Guillian-Barre Syndrome. Is this condition dangerous?

Hello, I have suffered from this condition before. It is called Miller Fisher syndrome, and it is just a variant of Guillain-Barré syndrome. They are treated the same way, with intravenous immunoglobulin or plasmapheresis. In my case the symptoms were abnormal muscle coordination and generalized muscle weakness. Sometimes, I even had respiratory problems. However, it didn’t last long because I managed to treat it successfully by plasmapheresis. This is a procedure of removing antibodies from the blood. It really worked for me, and I recommend it to you. Also, the prognoses for Miller Fisher syndrome patients are really good, and the recovery lasts from one to six months. In my case it lasted 4 months, and I’m very happy that it’s behind me now.

Hi Lofthus, it was good to read your post. My Mother is in intensive care with Miller Fisher - I have just been reading about it. She is on a respiratior etc and is nearly fully unable to move so it must be a very bad case. Any tips for fastest recovery? Thanks