hey
my dad is in the hospital right now and he has many symptoms of the gillian barrett syndrome. the doctors isnt sure yet what is wrong with him. he has been in the hosp. for over a week now and nothing is being done. they only giving him oxygen so he can breath better because he has problems breathing on his own. after a few days they found out there is now to much air in his lungs. they said he might also has ammonia now. i need feedback please

My deepest sympathy for what has happened to your father. What do you need to know about the syndrome? I know that it lasts for a period of time, I think two or three weeks, and then it goes away so do take heart that it will go away soon. What do you think? I sthat what you needed to know?

Hello -

I am a 28 year old male who was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome the winter of year 2000. Back then they classified it as a disorder, so things are definitely improving in terms of diagnosis and treatment. I recovered quick b/c the doctors were able to quickly diagnose and confirm that it was GBS and I was treated with the high-dose immunoglobulin therapy. It worked, and I was able to return to my normal lifestyle w/in 6 weeks, but I have never been able to get normal feeling back in my feet, even to this day. I have "tingling sensations" and random "shock like" pains in my feet from time to time. I have adjusted, but it took me a couple years to get my strength back and get used to the feeling of walking on broken glass. Reclaiming the individuals strength is the most important aspect.

Do not give up hope, and always double check what the doctors tell you. It will take great strength of mind for everyone but love and support will go a long way.

Take care and be strong.

In my case it was six weeks before I could go home to start learning to walk again. Intravenous Immune Globulin was the only treatment used on me but there are others. Also, it mostly goes away on its own.