My son was diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome in the same time when he was tested positive for HIV. He has had Guillain Barre Syndrome now for a month. Plasmapheresis treatment did not work and he will now have immunoglobulin therapy. I’ve been told that it will be 2 treatments. My question is how does Guillain Barre Syndrome behave relative to HIV? I need some response. Thank you.

I am sorry to hear this. I can only tell what I read in one article related to HIV. Something like this was written:” Inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy in patients with HIV infection is associated with acute or chronic progressive weakness and minor sensory complaints, similar to the Guillain-Barre syndrome (chronic IDP) observed in patients with negative HIV serum test results. The condition generally occurs early in the course of HIV disease. It may be the initial clinical disorder when seroconversion occurs. IDP is probably mediated by autoimmune mechanisms and has responded to immunomodulating treatment, including there corticosteroids, plasmapheresis, and intravenous immunoglobulin……”