Oxycodone Vs Morphine Withdrawal...which was worse for you??? For me Oxycodone just has that, "PLEASE SHOOT ME NOW!!" type of feeling...Opinions please!!

I was on both and stopped mscontin first, fairly easily and then weaned off oxycodone. You want to get away from anything that has a long half-life. The shorter time the drug is excreted from your body the better. Here's what I recommend:

In my experience, coming off opiates was about my relentless commitment to getting on the other side of being on drugs, no matter the cost. What boggled my mind was how no dr. ever told me that opiates actually cause pain!!! Yes, they do!!! And when coming off them, it's like the body is saying, "NO! NO! You aren't taking that away from me!" So just to show you, as you are coming off, more pain than normal kicks in... just to "remind" you of your dependence. But what a lie!!!

So I pushed through the pain... that means, I was in pain and I endured the pain. But actually, it wasn't worse than a lot of other kinds of pain I had... it wasn't worse than the having the flu for a week, in fact, it was comparable. ...and really, only 1 or 2 days made me want to stay in bed.

I was taking total of mscontin 60mg/day and 150mg oxycodone/day - on this c**p for 7 yrs - after a serious auto accident that left me with a compressed spinal cord injury, damaging my neck (C3, C4, C5). In 10 days I weaned myself off all of it.

- Here's the Trick to Weaning -

1. Endure more than you think you can.

2. Cut down everything you take every one to two days. (I did it by cutting it in half, or more if I could, over and over until I was left with just a small amount - so small I couldn't practically break it any further. I dropped all the mscontin first (in 2 days), then ended with oxycodone.)

If you can't function then take slightly more, but remember, sacrifice is part of the deal to the other side.

3. Put greater spans of time between taking any pills.

At first I was experiencing withdrawals after 3.5-4hrs. So I extended time of next pill to 6hrs, then 8hrs, then 12hrs, then 14hrs, then I jumped to 24hrs.) Do this at the same time you are reducing the amount you take. The way you judge how much (time and pills) is by asking yourself, "Can I endure the way I am feeling? Am I pushing myself beyond my comfort zone and am I still 'all right'?" It's kind of like working out... the more the muscles burn the more good it does. So make it burn - that's what you want!

4. The last little pill - when to jump off for good: not when you're ready, but when you can... and don't lie to yourself!

You'll never know what it's like to be free and on the other side of dependency until YOU go there. There is nothing so liberating!!! There is nothing like pure freedom!!! (I could write a whole book on this part of the journey alone!)
I whittled down to taking 3mg oxycodone to 24 hrs. and only did that for 2 days and then I was done... never looking back.

By the time I got down to 3mg oxycodone 24 hrs apart, it amazed me how good that tiny, little amount could make me feel! It brought me back to life... that wee, miniscule piece! It made me mad that it had that kind of power over my body. I became defiant! Since I had already been going through withdrawal, I wondered how I would feel without taking anything and would it make me feel even worse? Well, it didn't get any worse than what I had already been feeling. It did drag on another week, but I was able to endure it well and my life didn't stop either... I kept doing things every day, leaving my home, working, etc. In fact, "doing" is a great distraction for what you're body is going through - takes the focus off suffering, granting the gift of passage of time.

There are some things you can do to ease the effects of withdrawal. There's a lot of great advice in these blogs. I'm happy to share too if you're interested. One thing for sure, for sure: take good nutritional supplements that work (I take Lifepak Nano and some others from Pharmanex) and that was a lifesaver!

Stay strong... strength is a choice.

WISH I WAS AS STRONG AS THE OTHER SIDE! I'D KILL TO BE "ON THE OTHER SIDE" I'M NOW STUCK ON 24MGS OF SUBOXONE AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET OFF IT! I'D LIKE TO BE FREE!

Yeah the sub was a pain to discontinue, i was on 12-17 Norco 10's per day for about 7 years an decided to try the sub detox for 5 days then cold turkey it an i didn't sleep for 7 days but it wasn't as bad as cold turkey hydrocodone but then again i wasn't physically dependant on the buprenorphine (Sub) until about 7 months ago. I was only taking about 4mg a day when i switched to ms contin 15mg x 6 an i still had aweful withdrawal from the buprenorphine! That sh*t is some potent stuff! I was reading somewhere that 2mg of buprenorphine equals like 40mg of morphine potency wise! I'm currently on 40mg x 3 of Oxycontin per day but have reduced to half of that because of gallbladder problems an the oxy makes something called the Sphincter of Oddi to seize up an since it controls your gallbladder its f*ckin me up bad! I don't even feel the oxy nemore! I switched back to sub for about 6 days then ran out so back to the oxy! Asking doc to switch to roxicodone 15mg x 8 instead of the oxy 40's 3x/day cuz of the surgery for the gallbladder removal is in a couple weeks. I've just been biting the oxy's in half an chewin em up lol, still don't feel em but at least it doesn't make me feel like i'm dying unlike when i take them how their suppose to be taken! F'n Sphincter of Oddi!! lol

TheOtherSide wrote:

- Here's the Trick to Weaning -

1. Endure more than you think you can.

Stay strong... strength is a choice.

God Bless. Due to your honest evaluation I will keep plugging along . Am on 3rd day of cold turkey from MScontin. man I hurt

I am coming off oxycodone naloxone and severdol, after sreious illness I've had enough. you are correct in saying it can be done with inner strength. I have decided to do this by myself my GP does not know yet. I am having sleepless nights and the lactic acid pain in my muscles is almost unbearable but I will suceed,thanks for your help.

Kudos for your honesty and help, I am hurting but will survive, I am taking ensure plus drinks because I an so weak and dizzy. I had a bowel rupture and emergency splenectomy because of prescribed drugs. I thought they were helping me but found out thr hard way, so take it from me don't take them.

You guys need to get some Imodium tabs.. You have to take a bunch of em for it to work.. but they will take you straight out of withdrawal.

I have had 3 back surgeries over the last 2 years and had to come off MS Contin 100 mg 3x a day and Roxicodone 30mg 4x a day.. I did a quick step down (like 2 weeks cutting dosages in half every other day) and started withdrawal pretty soon when I stopped (like 12 hours).

After that I found out about the Imodium trick.. At first I took 10 of them (20mg) and it kinda helped a little.. my friend told me to take 20 instead of 10 which is 40 mg.. When it was time for another dose I took 20 of them all at once.. when those kicked in I had 0 symptoms at all.. I stayed with that for about 5 days.. then did a quick taper off the Imodium pills.. and got totally off the pills with no real withdrawals to speak of.

Good luck to you guys.

Ryan

Ryan, You mean to tell me that Immodium masked all of your withdrawal symptoms?

I'm scared to death of switching from OC's to MS Contin's! I hate the thought but have't to get off this c**p, it's not helping anylonger! Thanks.

Ryan; how does that work. My husband has been on Morphine 180mg a day for 5 years and oxycondon 10/325 four times a day for four years and is trying to get off them.

Immodium directly effects the opiate receptors in your stomach which is how it helps a bit. Just remember you will have to taper Imodium as well

amen my friend

I have Scoliosis, Spinal Synosis, and Osteoarthritis. I have been on Opiate drugs for many, many years, each losing their effects as I built up a tolerance to them. Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Vicodin (Hydrocodone), Stadol nasal spray, Fentynal patch, and lasty MS Contin which I started at 60mg, 3X daily but cut it down to twice a day as that seemed to do the trick. However, after a few years, it is no longer working and I do NOT want to increase again. To go off this drug, I cut it to (1) 60mg daily, saw my Dr. at my annual physical and he gave me a script for 30mg to take daily and now one every other day. This is supposed to eliminate withdrawals. NOT! I have suffered with sleeplessness, waking up in the middle of the night, can't go back to sleep; dry heaves, general body weakness, excessive sneezing and runny nose, chills, twitching, terrible depression. Hopefully, in another week I will be out of the woods with this. The withdrawals have been worse than the pain I took them for. So this is my experience. Don't know if this might help anyone or let you know what to expect, but it is pure hell. Only God's grace has gotten me this far and I am determined not to take narcotics again! Do NOT stop your drugs abruptly, but see your doctor for a tapering off, and even at that you will have withdrawals. I have never considered myself a "user" but only took for pain. I told my wife I couldn't get high if I wanted to as my body just does not respond to narcotics that way.

Me too even if take morphine after percocet I still feel like death

i was taking 90mg morphine and 60mg of oxy for 2 months but have allways been on at least 30 mg oxy for 8-10 yrs untill 3 days ago when i said enough is enough so i threw them away. i didnt like how they made me feel and think! its might kill me but ya know what its better than living a lie.