I have been unsuccessful attempting to 'taper' from methadone; I have attempted this 3 times over the past 10 years. My pain condition has been cured but now I am methadone dependent.

Even after 6-weeks I was having serious withdrawal symptoms from methadone, once I was down to 25 mg. Morphine is water soluble and I believe would be easier to taper-down on and in far less time.

I am told that for every 10 mg of methadone 20mg of morphone sulfate would be it's equivalent? I am looking for anyone's experience trying to convert back to morphine in order to get off methadone, how long it took them, and how they then handled tapering-off of the morphine tablets.

Have you considered using a withdrawal program to help support you fi you have not had much luck with it? I think that might be a good idea if you haven't. What do you think?

I am trying that right now this is day 3 i went 7 days off methadone and it was hell the worst thing i have ever expereinced on day 7 i started 100mg morphine am and 100mg pm it wont help much with your lack of energy but yes it stops all pain and sweating your stomic still has that naging pain but not as bad and you can eat so i would say yes it does help quite abit as far as getting off morphine the taper is easy and now wear near as bad as methadone i went cold turky from 120 mg per day of methadone that was wrong i thought i was a tough guy an i could do i was wrong on day 4 it let me know who was boss good luck to you i wish you the best hope this helps

anonymous wrote:

I was on Methadone for three years and have never met anyone who got off of it by just tapering off. Yes, it is indeed the best pain reliever without a doubt, but its death-like psychological effects are so utterly debilitating to having a life, that any other opioid would be preferred. I tried over and over again. Before Methadone I had nerves of steel and the strength of a king, but after Methadone, I had nerves of a little boy and the strength of a little girl. It slayed me and left me just barely human.

Eventually, I was able to get off of it by transitioning to Seboxone and then Subutex--which is basically the same thing less one ingredient intended to deter its abuse. It was four times better than Methadone with respect to my mind, but alas, it did not do the trick for my severe chronic lower back pain. Eventually I transitioned to Morphine Sulphate extended release, and though it has been pretty good for the soul with not too negative effects, it has been the most constipation inducing of any of them. This has made it a living death and one i am undergoing right now. I am trying to get down to 60mg every 24 hours and have not yet been able. I'd give anything to get off of opioids altogether. God have mercy. Pray for me. And I will pray for all the sufferers that have to take these things throughout the world. What a horror.

About the constipation from methadone/morphine sulphate...I've found that over-the-counter "Miralax" works so great...not constipated any more...I'm about a week transitioning from methadone with Morphine IR (immediate release) for breakthru pain, to just morphine both...meaning Morphine CR (controlled release) and morphine IR (immediate release) for breakthru pain. I wanted off of methadone, I was on it for @ 5 years, from a failed spinal fusion/laperotomy surgery in 2001. So weird, I start gaining a ton of weight when the doctor increased the methadone for me because I was not getting relief. Plus I've been dragging myself around sooo tired...it got rediculous. The transition hasn't been bad...but now I wonder if the morphine still packs the pounds on and drags you out and reduces your metabolism like the methadone did...ANYONE KNOW? I can't afford to buy all new clothes, nor do I want to look like a moose! Thanks to anyone who has experience with taking Morphine for...and has an idea how it reacts regarding weight gain and metabolism.

try puridone it works wonders

My dr took me off methadone cold turkey. I am going thru. Hell even in the second week. I called dr and he wouldn't reply exept to deal with it.r

Methadone treatment fall's under the Americans with disabilities act you should find a lawyer now. As prescribers they are still governed by laws!

Why did he cut you off ? No decent dr would cut you off cold turkey unless you had done wrong

Janetm757, Hey, how did your morphine substitution ultimately go? I feel relatively good other than NO NO or very little energy while taking 120mg. of morphine extended relief 1X every 24 hours. I've been doing that for 3 days after going cold turkey off methadone 60mg that I've been on mostly for 5 years. I was fine on my own the first week. Day 6-8 put me down though, started taking the morphine end of day 8 because I couldn't take the withdrawal at all. Woke up feeling O.k almost Good, at least had a smile for not feeling like I was and I slept for about 5 hours!! Like I said, at day 3 now of the 120mg of morphine but want to start tapering it, what worked for you or did you just continue on the morphine? Please respond. Floyd ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private information such as phone numbers or email address is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Anyone else with similar story and or needs, please feel free to reply. All help is appreciated. I'm doing this FOR REAL so, if your ready, follow me here!! I'm the guest who posted the above post.

What is a withdrawal program? I'm a former addict on methadone and have never heard of such a thing. I've heard of 12 step programs, and in patient programs, and detox centers, and methadone clinics, and suboxone. But I have never heard of a withdrawal support program. please explain