Hi there! My daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis and doctors suggested a spinal fusion to be done. I would like to know if this spinal fusion procedure will help my daughter overcome this disability???

Spinal fusion is a very good procedure but the thing is that it does not return the spine to "normal." In a normal spine there is a motion between vertebrae. The surgery actually eliminates the ability to move between the fused vertebrae. But, usually if a fusion has healed it rarely breaks down. There is some potential to accelerate degeneration of segments being fused, but this risk varies between individuals and repetitive strenuous activities are advices to be avoided. The decision on whether to perform a surgery or not is hard and involves many factors related to the condition being treated, the age and health of the patient, and the patient's anticipated level of function after the surgery. I hope everything works out just fine for her!!!

Hello, Although I do not have your daughters condition, I did reverse the curve of my spine because of what I did for a living. I have had two cervial fusions to correct this. I am fused C3-7.  I still have some mobility, but I am compromised for range of motion. The surgery for me was pretty difficult to go through.  I would ask ever single question you can come up with to your daughters neruo surgeon and get another opinion before proceeding.   Pain issues should be addressed before your daughters surgery, along with recovery time.  I have heard there can be very good results with the surgery. My own results have been just fine. I wish you all the best. ginnie