I was talking to my friend who will be a doctor soon about potential of artificial discs for lumbar disc replacement. He told me, despite all the publicity, it is important to remember that artificial discs are not a miracle cure. I believe that lumbar artificial disc replacement surgery has both good potential and some considerable risks. Anyway, I believe this is good solution for people with back problems, so I would like to hear more about it. I am such interested because that is something doctor recommended to my father.

Artificial disk replacement is composed of two metallic endplates and a polyethylene core that moves between them. During the surgery, the patient’s degenerated disc is removed. After this, a pair of endplates, made of cobalt chromium will be inserted in the space between the vertebrae. Off course that is going to be attached to the vertebrae above and below the disc. A polyethylene material is then inserted between the plates to create a disc-like structure. This new made disk mimics the normal disc by providing both a normal level of separation between the vertebrae. Its function is also to allow the usual range of motion and flexibility for that segment of the spine. One of the main theoretical advantages of artificial discs replacement is to preserve the mobility of the patient’s adjacent discs. By this procedure, it is possible to delay the onset of arthritic changes adjacent to a fused level. The procedure can be a substitute for spinal fusion, which eliminates the motion from a painful motion segment.