I’m 45 and I was a healthy woman until the next thing happened to me. One day, while I was cleaning my house, I felt horrible pain in my back.
At that moment I didn’t know what caused this, and I thought that it was some back muscle cramp, but I couldn’t move my legs at all.
I laid in bed for over then two days until I contacted my doctor for the first time and scheduled a physical examination.
My doctor, after he examined me and after he looked at the x-rays, discovered that I have two herniated discs in lumbal part of spine.
He said that this condition can only be cured with surgical operation called Spinal fusion. I have never had any kind of operation and I’m very frightened because of it.
Does anybody have any experience on this field?
Please help!

I had a similar surgery few years ago and I can tell you what happened to me. I also had a herniation of the disc. This is a condition where disc jumps out of his normal position.
It can press the spinal cord and cause several dysfunctions, depending on pressure localization. Most commonly, it causes no sensitive and motored sensation in legs, like in your case. Fusion is a surgical technique in which one or more of the vertebrae of the spine are fused together so that motion no longer occurs between them. The surgery eliminates motion between vertebrae segments, which may be desirable when motion is the cause of significant pain.
Few weeks after surgery you will be immobilized because you must be immobile to allow fusion to progress.
Immobilization is achieved through internal fixation devices or external bracing or casting.
There is usually pain for the first few days after surgery but you will get your pain-killers, don’t you worry!
I wish you luck with your surgery!

I just had my spinal fusion on December 13, 2006. I am still in my full brace.I had 3 levels fused L3-S1. I is a long road to recovery but I did have relief right away from the pain, but I did have a lot of surgical pain. They put me on a morphine pump for 1 day but I seemed to have more relief with the Percoset. The key after the surgery is walking. Trust me it will be the last thing you want to do,but you do feel better after you walk. Good luck :-)

yes i just had mine done. two nurses 4 hrs later got me up to walk. wow that was a lot of pain. i was on morphine, but took me off because of bloating. started me on pills. it has been 8 days now still sore on my back feels like a brick in my back throbbing also. im waiting for the day the pain leaves then i can see if what they did worked.