Hello! I need some info about spinal tuberculosis for my husband is in high risk of facing it in near future-he is still under TB treatment but his doc told me that his joint and bones are affected also by tuberculosis bacteria and that it easily might happened it spreads on his spine. So I would like to hear what spinal tuberculosis means and what the chances of recovery are.

I am sorry but as far as I know having something like spinal tuberculosis is never a good sign-it practically means that the spine is affected so actually being diagnosed with spinal tuberculosis it almost always means that it is about tuberculosis arthritis so also other bones and joints are affected and that is all in fact about extra pulmonary tuberculosis when the bacteria has spread on other organs –in your husband's case it has spread on his bones so he is in high risk of getting spinal tuberculosis and it always ends up with the spinal disc damages which is never 100%treatable for it could get inflamed and also some paraspinal abscesses could be created in some cases causing even paraplegia and even spinal cord compression.

The treatment for TB depends on the extent of the damage.

It is fully treatable in most of the cases. But it takes time to heal. And the antibiotics course is a pretty long one (6 to 12 months).

I suffered from spinal TB myself and I have recovered almost all my functions back.

I've written my experience with the disease in my blog.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed