Hi, I have problems with weakness in arms and really painful cramps in my legs. I went to see a doctor and was diagnose with Myotonia congenita. But, I read something about that disease and found out that my symptoms are similar as if I had Myotonic muscular dystrophy. Both of the diseases affect muscles. Anybody know something more about MMD or the difference between MMD and MC? Will I be able to have kids with MC or MMD? I`m only 25.

Hi, my husband has MMD and I know about that disease. It affects muscles and many other organs in the body. Unlike some forms of muscular dystrophy, MMD often doesn’t become a problem until adulthood and usually allows people to walk and to live independently. There is also the infant form of MMD. MMD can occur in babies born to parents who have the adult form. Myotonia isn’t a feature of any other form of muscular dystrophy. When a person, suspected of having muscular dystrophy, has MC, the diagnosis will probably be MMD. Children with MMD have a good chance to survive, but with multiple problems. Also, babies with congenital MMD will probably be mentally retarded.

you will be able to have kids however you could give this to your kidsi have 3 kids and i have muscuer dysrophy type1 however i was not diagnod tell i was 50 go figure i had a blood test on all of my kids and they were all negative thank god but it is something to consider you are atually born with it when it shows up can be different in any body my brother also has it he was treated like artritis for 25 years he got diagnosed and that is when i found out. he was not so lucky his son has it also.