Hi! I am new to road cycling..... what do I need to buy? I am ready to purchase my first bike since 1990 (got it for my birthday and never used it). Looking at all of the things I hear I am fairly clueless about what is necessary and what is not. I am finding this all a bit overwhelming.

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. You may need a good pump (or CO2 inflator), spare tubes, patch kit, lights (if riding at night), tool kit, some sort of bag for carrying spare parts and tools (frame, handlebar, or under seat), a cycling computer is very helpful, some sort of eye protection, padded riding gloves (very useful). Some of the guys use heart monitors. By cycling computer I mean a Speedo, an odometer, a stop watch. It will calculate average speeds over distances for you. It can be very helpful in tracking your progress. Most bikes use the same basic components. Try to get a bike with at least Shimano 105 equipment. The best advice is to find the right bike shop first, and then see what they offer.