I.occasionaly, without any apparent provocation develop a pain in one of my fingers which immediately becomes bruised, red, and swollen.
I also experience numbness in this finger when it happens. I am 64 yrs
old, but have had this condition previously. It does not seem to be related
to cold temperatures although I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's.
Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Hello, I think I might experience something similar to what you have. Twice I have gotten a sudden, sharp-ish pain in my vein (once in a finger and then today in my hand, the big vein that runs down the back of your hand in the center). After the "episode" my vein feels and looks bruised. I can't seem to find anything on the internet. I did mention it to my physician (who happens to be a hemotologist) and she did not have an answer. I worry it's some kind of clotting. Did you find anything out?

Thank you

i also have had my finger (pointer inside) vein become swollen and then bruised and i have no idea how or why it has happened???

strange, i also occasionally get a pain in my index finger, right hand. On the inside of the finger at the first joint it suddenly starts to hurt and bruises within 2 minutes. 10 mins later the pain is gone and the bruise develops normally and slowly over a couple of days and goes again within a week or so. This maybe happens once a year, always on the same finger. no idea why. Is this similar? I'm 33 years, male.

I also have had this symptom - for several years. Mostly in my arms or hands. Suddenly, not based on hitting or injuring that part, I get a sharp feeling of sting followed by an achy feeling -- and also almost an itch. I believe it to be some kind of capillary bleeding - if I wait a few minutes, I can see bruising on the skin. I have learned to put cold on it right away. I have no idea what causes this. Ideas?

Five minutes ago the middle portion of my index finger on my left hand (my writing hand) suddenly started swelling and got red, as if i was bit or stung, but i was not. It seems to be starting to bruise and was numb, now it is not. The feeling is starting to diminish, but this has never happened before. I am 24. Does anyone know what this is about?

Guest wrote:

I just had for the first time the same thing. A burning feeling on the upper joint of my middle finger, which became a bit purple and difficult to bend . I thought of a clot immediately. I fear that doctors will not know what this is and see us a strange kind of people.
It does seem like a sudden inflammation syndrome or a capillary burst.

I keep getting this too and have done for years noone seems to know what it is...right now the base of my middle finger is black and swollen and the area above the knuckle is white and numb ....its awful....and very scary

I just experienced that a moment ago. I was washing dishes with my gloves on. suddenly I felt like something stings the middle finger of left hand and then I saw the joint swelled. I could also see the bruised vein afterwards. Is it caused by something in my blood? 8-| I felt the blood was going to gush out of the finger.

I have experienced this not only on my fingers. Sometimes if I get up at night I will a "sting" and swelling in the pad of my foot closest to my toes. I limp for days and it turns into a big bruise. Yesterday, I felt it coming on my finger so I held my hand above my head for awhile and then ran cold water on it. It seemed fine so I went back to what I had been doing and suddenly I felt it on my wrist. I now have an ugly purple bruise on my wrist. I'm not on any medication and I am 43 but this has happened to me off an on for several years. (I don't have high blood pressure). Should I be concerned?

My index finger started to sting in the second joint down and turned purple and was very stiff over the next few days. It was getting better, when it happened again. It is now puffy but the purple color is going away. I have no idea what this is, unless some kind of arthritis.

My middle finger looks bruised, but I don't recall injuring it? The palm side of my entire finger (from tip to where it joins my hand) is dark (like a minor bruise) and the top side of just the middle section looks buised (from joint to joint). I don't see any bite marks, but could it possibly be a spider bite? It doesn't hurt at all. Two days ago when it first started looking bruised, it was just a little swollen on the palm side in the middle, but not very much.

this has happened to me as well. I was walking around a mall when all of a sudden my left ring finger felt like it was stung on the inside and I looked down and saw the vein bulging, then it got all purple. I imediately removed my ring, because there was some slight swelling. It resolved a few days later. It terrified me. I am in the healthcare profession, and all i could think of was a clot or just my vein bursting, and not knowing why was scary. Then again tonight I felt the same sensation in my index finger on the same hand, but I didn't notice any swelling or bruising, and my left arm seems to be tingling, like I got goose bumps on it. When this happens I am not sure what to do. Do I go to the ER/ making an appointment at my GP takes about a month to get.

my husband has the same thing.... an unexplained bruised little finger which looks broken... it started paining him then suddenly went purple... the same thing has happened to one of his toes in the past.... very strange

Tonight my left middle finger turned white parlty and then dark. Finger felt ice cold now feels warmer but swollen and dark but not black like earlier. I am not sure why but the palm of my hand is dark blue leading from the finger and spreads out about the size of a half dollar. I too am concerned could be a clot.