This post is an extension of the

Fordyce on lips - think I have found a cure

thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I wouldn't say they look "uglier", but they are slightly more noticeable just because they're closer up.. the closer they get, the better I guess since they'll be able to come off easier.. i just dont know what to do to get them off once they're at their closest, toothpaste doesnt work.. exfoliating doesnt really work.. maybe theres some sort of lip peeling product out there, i suppose you could always try to rip them off but that could cause some bleeding and make you want to avoid going anywhere for a few days

imma google around and try to find a lip peeling product..wish me luck

well after searching around the only peels that i really found was something called TCA chemical peel? does anyone know anything about this? can it be purchased otc and done at home? recovery time?

I have tried TCA, quite strong, but didnt work. Spots apeared back after few weeks.

thats definitely something to look into, TCA peels.. since I've been using the jojoba oil some spots have come off and haven't returned, so that's a sign that perhaps if they all came off they wouldn't come back.. so maybe using TCA peels to get rid of the remaining spots and continuing to use jojoba oil to counteract any excessive sebum production could be a very effective treatment.

update on my progress with jojoba oil:

after some spots coming off after 2 weeks of usage, I had a good 10 days or so with no improvement whatsoever, but I woke up today and simply brushed my upper lip with a toothbrush and a few spots came out.. I stopped using any exfoliants or creams because I heard they could actually agitate your oil glands, so I just used a plain old toothbrush with nothing on it and it worked somewhat.. I'll keep doing this every few days to see how it goes.. the spots are so close to the surface but just seem stuck, so maybe I should look into TCA peels to speed up the process.

Light chemical peels (such as AHA) need to be performed by a dermatologist. Medium chemical peels (such as TCA) need to be performed by a physician or surgeon, they are painful and require a few weeks of recovery time. So I would recommend trying the light peel first, it's less risky and painless though it could take multiple treatments to be effective. You MAY be able to find a very light peel at a pharmacy that you could use at home, you'll have to ask the pharmacist if they have any alpha-hydroxy acid peels. For further information, you can check out chemicalpeel.org/alphahydroxy.aspx

I've also heard about Sally Hansen's "Gentle Peel for Rough Lips", but I'm not sure how effective it is. It can be purchased online at well.ca/products/sally-hansen-gentle-peel-for-rough_7191.html

Jojoba oil has solved atleast half of the problem, we just need to find something else to finish the job, though jojoba oil may be able to finish the job on its own in the long run. A quick solution would be better though.

so AHA peels to get rid of the spots, and jojoba oil to keep them from coming back.. that could actually work

ted, are your spots scabs or flaking that you can just brush off? i tried brushing but it still the same :'(

i searched tca chemical peel on amazon and a bunch came up. im scared to try this tho since jesse said a surgeon has to perform this

It's a pretty safe procedure, not many huge risks or anything, but it's not a cakewalk either. AHA peels would be much much safer and it's worth looking into getting an at-home kit, if not then a dermatologist could perform it but you may need to see him/her multiple times. As for the toothbrush method, it could help but you have to use it with a bit of force. I tried it, about 10 spots came off and some bleeding occurred but my lips heeled up in 2 days. The spots have not returned since, I've been using jojoba oil a few times a day and Nivea lip balm. So I think jojoba oil is an outstanding preventive treatment, but it's not a quick-fix. I think it's time I start to get a little creative here. I bet there's some really easy cure that we don't know about, I mean there's probably some skin/acne treatment that works (like one of those pore refining masks or some sort of microdermabrasion exfoliant). I'm getting a pore refining mask that apparently COMPLETELY cleanses your pores and tightens them up to make them invisible, so that could work. And I'm eventually getting a microdermabrasion exfoliant for my acne scars, I mean if it completely heals even bad acne scars by generating new skin, maybe it'll help with fordyce. I'll try the pore refining mask this week on my lips, and will report any progress.

25th day now. using jojoba oil..the spots have risen and is now more noticeable..st ivys isn't working and same with brushing it with a toothbrush..i have an appointment with a demaologist to get it out with co2 lazer...i've had some sucess with lasers in pass... the spots would vanish for a month or more.. but most... to some would return..but some area the spots never came back.i havent used lasor for probally 4 years now..due to the cost and time for recovery.and using lip meds made my lips look healthy and unnoticable....anyways...im still going to use jojoba oil until my appointment..in 2 weeks..i hope the spots well rise more up the skin so it well get zapped out for good..if anyone is intrested..it cost me $100 a session and take me 5 to 7 days to recover for all the scabs to dry and come out of lips..as for scaring..this would be my 7th time going and my lips never scared..lips tend to heal really well with the ointment doc gives me..the downside of laser is recovery..i did not go out in public with lips lasored..so look in staying home for a 4 or 5 days at least... paul

hey guess wat guys, i was able to get some spots off. i was looking in the mirror and decided to scratch at a big patch that was on my upper lip and a lil bit came off. now its nice n pink. looks kinda funny tho cus its a big white spot and now a lil pink in the middle. anyways atleast now i know that the jojoba oil did something unlike the blistex. im starting to believe the jojoba oil does push the spots out. imma keep on using the oil. im also starting to believe that if we can find something that can peel the lip we can get rid of fordyce.

Hey Paul , what kind of laser did you had 4 years ago ? Was it CO2 ?

Cuz i have heard that it's the only laser that can do the job. Other types have been tried but in most cases the spots came back. Only CO2 was effective in getting rid of the condition for some people. I am thinking about getting the treatment myself.

Anyway , for now i am using the hot needle method. It still works but the problem is that the spots seems to come back faster than before. At first it would take between 4 and 6 weeks for them to come back but now they are back after 1-2 weeks. It seems that these fuckers got "used" to the hot needle and are now regenerating faster. It still a decent short term method though until we found something more effective. I will try to combine the hot needle + joboba oil for prevention and see how it goes

Btw , i'm the guy who sort of developped the hot needle method so if you have read about it on sebaceous-prominence.com it was me. I'm not trying to brag or anything , just saying in case some people want to try it and need some info then don't be afraid to ask. I have been using it for over a year now so i'm pretty much an expert at doing it.

Good job kobe! I've been doing the exact same thing and it really does work. The spots are so much closer so they're easier to get off, and our lips are so strong and resilient that they can handle the scratching. I'd say about nearly half of my spots are gone now, just from the scratching/rubbing, and of course jojoba oil paved the way for that to work. I think if we continued to use jojoba and did the scratching every couple of days, they'd all eventually come off in a matter of weeks. Another thing I've noticed, the spots haven't come back at all, which means sebum overproduction has stopped. When I tried the vinegar treatment a year ago, a few spots came off but they came back right away. So it must be the jojoba oil preventing them from returning, turns out this oil is actually living up to the hype, unlike Blistex.

I'm still going to experiment to see if there's a quick-fix, but atleast we're onto something here.