Hello. I'm 30 year old male and I suffer from really strong pain located next to my left shoulder blade. I started to feel this about three weeks ago. I like cycling and every day I drive several miles on my bike. Now, I can't do that any more because when I try to drive, my shoulder is killing me.
The thing that’s confusing me is that I didn’t experience any bike accidence; I didn’t fall of the bike or lift anything heavy, so I really don’t know what could cause me this pain.
Should I be worried about this? What should I do!?
Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Well, if you didn’t fall of the bike or experience any other physical accidence then I would exclude a broken shoulder blade as an option.
There are several other things that could cause you this pain. First, you could develop some mild form of rheumatism. It is quite common for bikers so you don’t have to worry that much.
It could be also cause by some process on your rib.
When you are trying to inhale, your rib cage is expanding, causing an irritation to the rib.
It could also be some trivial reason. It may be that the handlebars are too far forward or too low or that you've been increasing your time on the bike. My suggestion for you is to find some good chiropractor and schedule your self a treatment.

Hello, I've been suffering with similar pain in my upper back/left shoulder
blade, for about three weeks now. Recently, I was in so much pain, as I was preparing to leave for work, that instead of going to work, I went to the E.R. at my hospital. I didn't know what to think, because it was so severe, I discounted the idea that it was a "muscle sprain", etc., as I had thought earlier. I went in and got an x-ray, an EKG, blood tests, and all the typical tests expected from the E.R. folks. The result; nothing. The doctor at the E.R. told me that maybe it was a muscle sprain or strain. Or maybe it could be a pinched nerve-yada, yada. He gave me a prescription
for vicodin and sent me home. The vicodin; no help. I'm still in excruciating pain. I will probably just wait it out. Wonderful!!!!

Geeze, I've been suffering with this terrible pain under my left shoulder blade for 3 weeks now. I can't live my life. I've had 5 chiropractor visits, 8 doctors, 12 injections and NOTHING is touching this pain. Oral muscle relaxers, oral narcotic pain relievers, nothing. I even bought an electrical TENS unit and have had electrical current running all over the area for 10 days now and nothing from that either, in fact everything continues to get worse. I too am physically fit and active but now I'm almost bedridden and in terrible pain. There's no position where I can sleep without terrible pain, I can't drive, the position makes it worse, I can't sit anywhere. Standing is better. The bizarre thing is that the ONLY time it doesn't hurt is when I use it hard, like weight lifting, climbing, etc. I pay afterward, of course but this is insane. I feel like there's a knife stabbing me in the back under my shoulder blade.
Doesn't anyone out there know what this could be????
If anyone has a clue please email me

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

If anyone has a clue please email me at Yahoo address: steelcreekgroup

Hi! I am responding to the last post that was written from Newbie/Guest,......I have EXACTLY the same problem. Everything that you described is the same - the jabbing pain under the left shoulder blade, the pain getting better when I use it lifting weights/swimming hard (of course, gets worse afterwards). Taking a deep breath also causes pain. Sometimes it is horrible, sometimes it is mild. It comes and goes.

However, I have hard it for over 5 years now. Many doctors have told me that it is because I play the violin (which I use my left side). But I just don't know. I have had ekg's, stress tests, blood work, chest/lung xrays (about 10 in the 3 years!!!!).

The worst part is, about 3 years into the pain, my breathing started to change. I go through spurts; when the pain is bad, I can't get deep breaths in. If anyone has any suggestions - or has similar problems and has had a correct dignosis or solved the problem - let me know! Please!

I just developed it today, (the sharp pain under my left shoulderblade when I breathe in) after going back to (rather physical) work after a week off due to bashing my shin VERY very hard. I just told my boyfriend and he told me his mother just had the same; and it turned out she had a lung infection... I am rather a heavy smoker- which I thought at first was the problem- but I am only 24 and have so far never suffered internal problems... also my arm now develops a dull ache, so maybe I am just suffering muscle strain or something... In any case, if the pain in my back is still there after tomorrow I am going STRAIGHT to the hospital for xrays.

If arm into your wrist,,,TRY carpal tunnel.My husband had it. also hurts down your arm to wrist.He was miserable.And is a mechanic.Any numbness in fingers or seem to drop things alot.Maybe just thinking clumsy.It was just that..goodluck

it has been 6 years, that i have suffered with right shoulder blade pain
i have been to the hospital,15 times only to be given pain meds each time

now as i write this i wonder if i can make it though one more night. it has ruined my life. i went from an up beat happy person,to a perso who spends most of her time inside, it hurts so bad. my daughter will be finishing high school in 2 weeks,i am prayin that i can fake good health long enough not to ruin her day, if anyoe finds out hat this is please write back. thanks for listing carolyn in mississippi.

My mother is having the same pain in her shoulder and back that many of you have described. She sleeps on her side and I am just wondering about a link between side sleeping and shoulder pain.....

I had exactly what all of you are talking about. And my pain is pretty much gone. Doctor were of no help, I was bed riden on pain pills for 3mon.
This seems to happen to people that have been into sports at one time.
One thing to check out is look in a mirror and see if you normal stance is straight. If you don't like what you see straighten up, It all plays a big part.
I used a inverted table that took a load off the spine. Then get one of those big red balls and slowly roll on you back and on your stomoch, arms out in front. This is what got read of my problems, No heavey wieghts, Unload the spine. Make sure if your on a computer that your not looking down.
Pay close atention to your life syle, it all comes into play. I to have ddd
very bad. But the table and ball worked great.

unfortunately i am suffering from the same problem. i have chronic back pain, however, so this is nothing new to me. i had this a few times before and here's what i did to alleviate the pain:

1) try not to carry anything on the opposite side, like a heavy shoulder bag, etc. for some reason this can throw the vertebrae out of whack.

2) try going to a good chiropractor. i've had shock treatments, ultrasound and adjustments in the past that have helped.

3) try taking ibuprofen (800 mg) to reduce any swelling.

4) invest in a tempurpedic bed if you can. it has made all the difference for me. i went from not sleeping at night to sleeping straight through the night.

i know this won't help those of you that have had this condition for years. my prayers are with you!

I have the same problem, a sharp pain just on the inside of my right shoulder blade, it started during highschool track 3 years ago. it comes and goes but anytime I run distance now it becomes very painful and difficult to take deep breaths. please let me know if you have any ideas as to what it is, or if you have found anything that helps.

I can't believe I'm hearing all of these similar complaints. I have a two year old son that I carry on my left side quite frequently. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling a dull pain in my right shoulder that went through my back, especially when I take a deep breath. If I pick something up or push on my arm I get a sharp pain. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and I hope it helps. I'm a very active person but I dont excercise daily. I hope it's not anything serious. Please write back if anyone is experiencing similar symptoms.

I recently had a second neck fussion after the first fussion was not successful. When I woke up, I immediately started complaining about a severe, sharp pain in my right shoulder blade. I dealt with it until finally I went to urgent care one evening and she referred me to a pain specialist. It turned out that during my neck surgery, my right shoulder had been so stressed into place that it stretched the ligaments to the point where they wouldn't heal on their own. In August, I underwent yet another surgery. This time it was to fix my seperated shoulder. The Doctor said it was so seperated that it was almost dislocated. I'm feeling much better now. All of you that are experiencing this type of pain (and believe me, I know how bad it hurts!!!) Go see someone who specializes in shoulders and ask him/her if your shoulder could be seperated. I hope this help! - Jaci