Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with type 2 two weeks ago and my doctor put me on metformin 500mg tab. My sugar levels are just a mess. I've gone from a low of 11.2 and up to a high of 26. Oh boy! My doctor told me not to eat any sugar. Oh, this is difficult as I had no idea of much sugar is hidden in foods you don't associate with sugar. Since I'm newly diagnosed, I have a metformin question. I'm worried about the stomach upset, nausea and particularly diarrhea I'm getting. At the moment I can't go to far without looking for a bathroom. I've already had two accidents. Is it possible to take something for the diarrhea like anti-diarrheal medication (OTC or prescription) to stop this. I was thinking something like Immodium but I don't know if that will affect the metformin in a bad way. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Hi, So many of us have had the diarrhea situation at one point or another on metformin. I asked my doctor if it was okay to take an anti-diarrheal med and he said that was fine. I took immodium AD and I found that it works really well. The nice think is that it lasts for the entire day. You can take other meds like pepto bismol or kaopectate. Some people have said pepto didn't work for them and kao did. You'll have to experiment a little bit here to see what works.

Also keep in mind that there may be a relationship between the foods you eat and diarrhea. I had noticed that really greasy foods brought diarrhea knocking so I cut those out and that helped a lot. Your symptoms should be gone within a month so just be patient but in the meantime take an anti-diarrheal of your choice to get through the rough spots. You can change the times you take your metformin and for some that's the ticket. Some find the symptoms subside if they take metformin during a meal as opposed to before. Also, the slow release/extended release versions are supposed to have fewer side effects as well. So, you might consider that.

I'm newly diagnosed with type-2 and currently on metformin-500mg twice a day, and I've experienced diarrhea and used anti-diarrheal medicines to get rid of annoying nausea. However, talking about the sugar, I've given up on them since my diagnosis and just started with a keto diet. So I guess it'll help you too. Here is a link to ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use. Hope it helps you!