Hello all, I was just diagnosed with type 2 and my doctor put me on metformin 3 days ago. I have a quick question: I was wondering how long it takes to work. I took a pill last night at dinner and in the morning my sugar level was 190. Before this my BG was at 165. Can metformin make my BG go up? I thought it was supposed to make your BG go down. What could be happening here. I realize that it may take a little bit for metformin to work but I didn't expect this. Does anyone have any information on this. Please share with me. I need some help here. Thanks.

Hi, I've been on metformin for over 3 years so I'm trying to recall how long it took for me. Remember, it will be different for each individual because there are a number of factors involved. I'm thinking it took me 3 to 4 weeks before I saw a real difference and I believe my BG was higher during the first week as well. This is nothing to worry about. However, while you are waiting for metformin to do its job, you can start working on your diet and begin reducing your carb intake and keep tabs on your BG levels. Get used to writing down you BG levels in your diary/log book and don't forget to write down exactly what you are eating and when. All of this is important if you are to be successful with managing your BG levels. I don't know how many times your doctor wants you to check you BG levels but in general you should check levels for fasting (morning), before and one to two hours after each meal. As you begin to cut your carbs and foods that cause spikes, you should see your BG go down. It's important that you have patience. You and your body are going through a lot of changes and there are many things you need to remember. I know you can do it and I wish you the best of luck.