Need some advice from someone so I hope the forum can help me out? I got diagnosed with type two diabetes yesterday and my doc has given me metformin to take. I’m beside myself! I’ve never had anything wrong with me before now and I can’t believe that I’m gonna have to take drugs for the rest of my life. I don’t know what I can and can’t do while I’m taking metformin. Will I be okay? What does it do? Can I still drive? All these things going on in my brain and I don’t know which way to turn. Anyone else felt like this when they were told they’d got it?

Hi! You know first of all you should pat yourself on the back for taking the time to ask someone about your new condition – that’s a real step forward. Secondly, don’t worry – there are always people to support you, and although you’ll probably need to make changes to your lifestyle it’s still possible to lead a normal life, do normal things and be happy.

We don’t know what causes diabetes, so it can happen to anyone – no previous history needed. I’m sure your doc will have talked you through diet and exercise, but metformin isn’t the end of the world, and if you take it you’ll probably feel a world better. Metformin will help you control your blood sugar by helping you control your insulin levels – it doesn’t have many side effects, and it is really effective. Your doc may up your dose from where you start, but that is completely normal. Your reaction is completely normal too. You can still drive, make sure you take your meds, get your blood checked, try and exercise and keep an eye on your weight. And most of all keep in touch with the nurses, accept all the extra health checks and be aware of how you feel. You’ll do fine!