Hello, I have type 2 diabetes which I have been controlling really well through diet. I thought i was doing a good job, but now my doctor wants to start me on metformin. I am not very happy about this as I dont really like taking any medication, and I am concerned that they could be expensive. Can someone explain to me how metformin works and why I need to take it. My doctor said I would have to take 3 tablets a day. I think if I could better understand why I need to take metformin I would not feel so cross about taking them.

Hi my name is Grace,

I have GAD (Generalized anxiety) and about 2 yrs ago my doctor gave me 200g of Seroquil and I think it was 150g of metformin. The Seroquil makes you gain weight so thats why she gave me Metformin. For me, it didn't work at all. I just kept gaining weight. But that was just me. I'm not sure how it would work for you since medicine works in different ways for everyone. Hope this helps. (:

(But what metformin is supposed to do, it help you keep the extra pounds off)

metformin works in a variety of ways. It is a anti-diabetic medicine known as a biguanide, it was introduced as a therapy for diabetes in the 1950's. It helps to reduce blood sugar levels between and after meals.

metformin reduces the amount of sugar produced by the liver cells. It increases the sensitivity of muscles to insulin- therefore allowing a more effective removal of sugar from the blood. It also delays sugar absorption from the intestines following digestion. Metformin is usually taken during or just after meals. hope that helps.

metfomin will help to keep your blood sugar levels stable, which is why it is such an important medication to take if you have been prescribed it. raised blood sugar levels can cause lots of damage to your body and if left unchecked can cause blindness, heart and kidney problems, delay wound healing, possibly even amputation. I dont mean to alarm you, but if your doctor feels you need to take metformin it is very important you follow his medical advice. Nobody enjoys taking tablets, but if they can keep you well and extend your life it is a small price to pay. I do agree that when you know why you need to take tablets it helps you too take them.