Hello ladies, I was diagnosed as type 2 and I started just with diet modification and then my doctor put me on metformin, 500mg two times a day. I don't understand why I'm getting thirsty in the evenings. My BG levels are around 7 before I eat and in the morning as well. This seems okay, doesn't it? But, this morning before breakfast I got a 12 just out of the blue. Something is not right here. I have cut down on carbs in my diet but maybe not enough. Still on metformin and experiencing highs. Anyone have any advice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I haven't gone on metformin yet but I'm due to in about a month. You say that you have BG levels of 7 before meals and fasting GB of 12. That sounds a bit high but I have certainly heard a lot higher. I think at the moment it depends on how you feel. I mean some people are good with 7 yet otheres need to be somewhere in the 5 to 6 range. I'm right around 6.5 for an average which I'm happy about. However, I do have BG levels up around 9 from time to time. If you haven't talked to your doctor about your BG levels, it's a good idea to set up an appointment. If you're having problems with your med dosage and/or diet he/she can help you with that. I know I'm experience thirst quite often as well and I find it helps to drink16 ounces of water before breakfast and before I go to bed to keep thirst symptoms away. You might try this and see if that works for you. You might have to run to the bathroom in the middle of the night though. I've gotten used to that now. I try to take in a two quarts of water or so per day but I also drink green tea throughout the day probably around 5 cups a day.