I am so glad for this health forum here!  I am so scared because I have just been newly diagnosed with diabetes.  I am supposed to take this medication called metformin to help my blood sugars go down and I need to take a meter home with me to test my blood 4 times a day for a while, until I go back to my doctor.  I see a lot of people on here are diabetic patients.  I need to know what it was like for you as a new diabetic.  I am dreading poking myself on the fingers everyday, four times a day!  I am scared that I will need to do insulin shots too.  This is a whole new world for me and it is petrifying.  I am uncertain of my health future.  I don't want to lose my eyesight or my toes.  I have seen this happen to people.  I need to know that it will be ok.

I am glad you found the website and our forum to be able to ask for help with your health issues!  You have concerns about having diabetes and you have the right to be concerned.  However, it is important for you to know that you have more control over your diabetes than you think.  You will have to take your blood sugars frequently in the beginning, but you will cut back on this once the doctor knows how your blood sugars react to the diet and medication.  Metformin is one of the best medications to start with because it will not cause hypoglycemia like other medications.  If you stay compliant with your diabetic diet, you will be able to keep from needing insulin for a long time to come.  You may even reverse your diabetes with staying on a regular exercise program, watching your carbs, and losing some weight.