I have experience painful exams and intercourse all my life. No doctor has ever bother to find out what was wrong. I have developed cervical cancer and now the situation is worse. I cant have any intercourse at all,the pain is intolerable and it has cost me my relationship pf 10 years. When doctors use vinegar solution during exams it burns real bad so it bring tears to my eyes. I wonder if the vinegar solution can cause the pain to get worse. I do experience pain after exams that last long time. It gets so sore that I can't do anyhting at home. I heard about an Italian doctor who treats cancer with baking soda and cures it. So I decided to use baking soda in a bottle of water to douche and it does alleviates tha pain so I can resume my activities. Have anyone done so or heard about it or done the same?

At my fist pelvic exam (I was about 23, a virgin, just about to get married as well), the nurse performing the exam did the palpitations and was very understanding, but obvioulsy pressed too hard.   I went home with cramps that came on immediately, to the point where I got nauseous and developed a slight fever.  The next morning I woke up with cramps in my right side that were so bad I thought I had appendicitis.  Turns out she burst an ovarian cyst I had (they presume it must have been larger).   Ovarian cysts are very common, especially in girls who aren't on the pill, so my guess is that this happens way more than is documented.  

I have made sure to book subsequent pelvic exams for right after my period to ensure that I'm not ovulating (less chance of large cysts).  These exams have left me with "regular" pain/discomfort and cramping in the vaginal walls, but I've had that checked as well and they found nothing wrong.  Then again, my eyes hurt after my last optical exam - I think people poking and prodding things are just doing so a little too hard.  

Has anyone ever found out what the deal is. I also am going through the same experience. I have had numerous PAPS and never any problems. I switch to this other Dr. because mine moved and now the same painful discomfort experience. She told me to take advil for 2 weeks and then call if it still persists. I am pissed!! I went in for something so normal feeling no pain, and now this. So Mon. have to call.

Did you ever find get an answer? It has been 2 weeks for me too.

I went for my first pelvic exam when I was 28 years old. I was a virgin but was pressured into having an exam anyway. The exam was a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. However, the next morning I woke up with soreness and aching all over my pelvic area. Then came some shooting pains which felt like they were coming from my right ovary, though I had never experienced ovarian pain before. I did not want to go back to the doctor because I didn't have insurance and I felt like it was the exam that caused my problem in the first place. It has been three years since that first exam and the pain still comes and goes. Some months, I have no ovarian pain at all. Other months, I have continuous aching and sporadic sharp pains for days. The pain is not debilitating, but it is certainly uncomfortable. It seems from the symptoms that I have ovarian cysts, but I'm wondering if the pelvic exam could have triggered this. Another poster mentioned the possibility of the doctor rupturing a cysts; I'm now wondering if a ruptured cyst could cause the formation of more cysts, or just more painful cysts. Or maybe this problem is coincidental and has nothing to do with the exam? I don't know. I feel for anyone else who is having a similar problem.

I am so sorry you had this experience. I just had a similar one today. I moved recently and found a new doctor. I went expecting just a regular check up but he (yeah a male doctor which made it even more uncomfortable for me) said I needed a pap test. I am very shy too and don't really know what to say or do and I have heard they are necessary to check for cervical cancer.

I was sort of in shock. I was on birth control because of heavy bleeding during my period and anemia. Since he didn't know my history I think he assumed I had been on the pill because I was having sex! I am having pain right now in my pelvic area inside. I cried terribly after it was over once I got to my car. I am 21 and not sexually active; I too have the belief to wait for someone special. I felt violated as well. I am still feeling uneasy about it and awake at 2 am looking up if other people had pain or a similar experience. You are not alone, and your comment helped me feel like someone could relate.

Oh and I was also asked if I wanted an STD test and I was like no...I was just so confused at this time and needed to speak up for myself and say I wasn't sleeping with anyone and didn't want this done I have a hard time with being pushed around. So after this awful day I am still awake feeling sore. And to top off that whole pelvic pap thing I had a breast exam and got a shot in my butt :( It makes me scared to go back to the doctor.

I see that this happened a year ago and idk if you will see this comment, but a year later I read it so I hope other girls can read these comments and know that there are others having similar experiences and they are not alone.

I am on day 4 of this post exam horror. I talked to another dr. It appears the exam was too long, the speculum was repositioned while inside ( mine was shoved ) causing pain near belly button. Also speculum was not fully closed and formed a suction and was quickly pulled out on an upward angle (it is to be closed and removed downward) scraping the vaginal wall causing more bruising and a possible bladder infection to come. This may be what happened to you. I have also read that metal speculums may hold germs. As for the first timers above I am so proud of you for sharing your story. Don't let these horrible excuses for doctors tarnish everything you have been holding dear. Try to rethink the visit. Replay it over as you wish it had went. This visit will no longer be a thought. Remember Prince Charming wiped the death apple from Snow White's Lips.

I had the same experience, I am in so much pain a week later with cramps and bad lower back pain. I dont wanna even get out of bed. Lots of pressure too. What could thos be? How long did ur pain last? Did u go back to the dr at all? If so what did they say was the problem. Please respond back I'm so scared they did something bad to me.

I suffered from EXACTLY the same pain recently after I visited a gynaecologist and he did a short put probing finger examination; not sure why he did it as I'd arranged for a sonogram the next day?? Sonogram was subsequently so painful in left hand lower abdo area and bladder and it's taken me two weeks to feel normal again, I had awful bladder pain and couldn't sit properly, I was imagining all sorts eg. bowel/bladder issues, consulted my GP and also spent a large amount of cash on trying various remedies which obviously didn't work, it's now just occurred to me it was bruising from HIS examination!! Just a warning for you ladies, please think twice before you agree to an internal, specially if you're going to have a scan anyway!

I have only had 2 pelvic exams but I had severe cramping after both of them.  My gyno is a woman and she is pretty nice, she is the only OB/GYN I have ever been to though.  She always tells me what she is going to do before she does it during the exam and I haven't felt like she has been too rough or rushing through but I still have a lot of discomfort and then bad cramps starting immediately after.  She never warned me I could have cramping, even when the whole reason I started going was for debilitatingly severe menstrual cramps.  I even asked my mom about it after it happened the 2nd time but she had never heard of that before and seemed concerned about it.  I haven't had a pap smear yet but I will need to next time (this June) and I'm nervous that the pap will hurt even more than pelvic exams already do.... I am not a virgin and have had problems with pain during sex too.  When that happens I usually have to stop because it hurts too much and I have noticed a few times I actually got a tear, which was scary.  I am so confused about all of this.

I would say wholeheartedly, you should not have been treated like that. That Doctor was downright offensive and abusive! not just rude and insulting. I seriously suggest you make a complaint even a year later. It's only when women speak out that we're heard. No-one should be seen, and not heard!

This is not a feminist rant, this is simply straight up facts. We're not battery hens, no-one should expect to be sat naked from the waist down waiting for an examination for nearly 1.5hours. That to start with is intolerable.

I completely understand your feelings of violation, and deep upset, that made you feel dirty and ashamed. You should not have been bullied into a smear by your Mother and Doctor (meaning they should not have bullied / coerced you, not that you failed in some way by agreeing to it). That is outrageous. I don't think your Mother fully understands what PAP tests are about in this case, and that your Doctor wanted to follow this up seems like your Mother had invalid concerns she was discussing behind your back? Unfortunately you yeilded to have the examination, but you did so clearly under duress.

I am deeply shocked and moved by your account of the experience you endured. I hope you do make a formal complaint. That Doctor should apologise and take some more training, if not be struck off for her demeaning and unacceptable behaviour. I would like to support you that your feelings of violation and anxiety and feelings of trauma after this kind of bad experience is NORMAL. I resent anyone who would tell you otherwise, and that you should just act like an Adult about it. There is a hymen involved so I don't understand how in the world the Doctor could dispute you being a virgin upon initial examination. The FACT is that how you were treated is NOT NORMAL. I was only a couple years younger than you when I had sex. I completely disagree that all girls are 'out there' having sex from a young age too, especially if education and meaningful relationships come into it, and no Doctor has the right to claim you were in denial because your Mum was present at times, not never nada!

Unfortunately, I am experienced (or old XD) enough of the world to regretfully inform you that not all of us will ever get justice in this world. Sometimes not even an apology will be forthcoming. The SAD reality of life is that sometimes we will be exposed to these negative experiences, that one person having a bad day may take it out on you, and you're left with that hideous scar on your memory. I would also like to tell you that Time really does Heal, even though those feelings (looking back and reliving it) might never go away completely. I would like to add, this was probably not as bad as rape, (at which point, surely your Mother would have took issue, assuming you had a normal mother-daughter relationship otherwise?) although it will feel like that to you, because this was your first experience of anything of this nature.

I am somewhat beleaguered by the actions of your Mother, but I would not hold her entirely to blame. She could have acted and removed you from the situation, supporting you that it was too much waiting, and that that Doctor was too blunt and insensitive for your first such encounter, and when you cried with agony and upset. As a Mother myself I would not sit back while anyone endures that 'on my watch'. However a lot of this is in hindsight sometimes. At any time were you being restrained and could not leave the clinic? Not being sarcastic, but just to highlight that your Mother may not have been watching all the time, trying to be discreet for your sake, and in the spur of the moment things are so easily missed or not picked up on. I'm not saying these to defend your Mother, but to explain that sometimes things happen which other's simply don't pick up on, or they avoid because they 'think' they should not interfere too much, or fear of professionals even can prevent people taking action where they would never accept it anywhere else. This is known to professionals, and why this Doctor should have known better.

I would rather not call this a sexual encounter, (not to dismiss it as such, but unless you truly believe this was a rape, only you can decide that, or if it was a bad medical exam, but nonetheless I understand and agree I would be traumatised by it) although it is sexual organs we're talking about. That is something we all have to try and create a division between, but I understand your meaning and I would agree that as a first encounter with your sexual organs with (and I know this starts to sound absurd sorry XD) another person, should not have been like this. I would add that this is not the future, that sexual experiences are not supposed to be all about pain (as another reply seems to suggest), and that you will bounce back from this nasty medical experience (assuming you are not injured - have it investigated?).

To add a little of my own experience, I am no weakling, but I have not experienced some of the terrible pain and lousy doctors as are prevalent on here, and have had smear tests, but I resent them in such a way it would take too long to explain myself on here, (but some of what I've written next may explain) that I resisted having any for 21 years, since pregnancy. I didn't have any particularly bad experience, (it's not a fun experience for any of us I'd say) I just made a conscious decision not to have them, until I decided I wanted to have another. That is my prerogative, and I haven't keeled over yet, whether because I have practiced celibacy or just dumb luck is my business XD

I want to reinforce PAPs should not be so painful they cause lasting pain, or anxiety or feelings of violation, but WHEN they are, we MUST COMPLAIN, otherwise there is no way these Doctors / Nurses will learn to improve. It may just be lack of feedback, and therefore they gain a repuatation as 'good' because no-one's said otherwise. There's also this social stigma / hierarchy that we should not complain to or about medical professionals. Truth is they are accountable, and we need to ignore this stigma. One of the reasons this stigma has evolved IMO is that it's always been a defensive mechanism (passive aggressive manipulation even) by so-called medical professionals, that we should never challenge their opinion, and that when / if we do we are somehow mentally challenged. Fact is the more we complain, the more this barrier will be crushed, and I mean crushed, it has no place in the Hippocratic oath Medics are supposed to stand by.

I think there are problems with the 'caring' profession (not to imply others aren't lacking too!), which will probably never be resolved, and at the end of the day all I'm talking about is being treated like they would like to be treated, like a sensitive human beings. I feel big steps are being taken in the right direction, but they still have a long way to go. Patients MUST vote with their feet, and make complaints in such cases where they feel violated or are not being listened to. So this applies to many on here. Visit your Doctor obviously to give them a chance to set things right, but if you don't get RESULTS you may need to complain. So many women suffering on here with the same complaint should be medically investigated and find out what's making these PAPs so bad, not women feeling bad as if they're weaklings, when it comes to this stuff and from birth we are the stronger sex. Pity is we still have to fight for our rights just to be heard!

You should not even have needed to have a smear test. It is invasive and you do not need to 'take one for the team'. Smear tests are about screening, not punishment or torture, as you describe yours. In law, when a Doctor touches a patient without consent, it's BATTERY. Although going to court may not be what you intend, you have rights and you could well lodge a complaint of that nature in this case. I am not a lawyer, but I have made injury claim in the past. I am not talking about money either, I'm talking about acknowledgement for your terrible experience, any money is incidental because society does not have a system to help heel feelings unless you go down a psychology road (which is another slippery slope).

My recommendation is that you should consider making a complaint. Add your post to your complaint to show how you've discussed your feelings on the matter to others so far. Secondly to all that stuff, you don't have to feel ashamed of yourself, your feelings of humiliation are justified. Whether you decide to complain or not, does not imply weakness either way. In future you will know what to look out for. I strongly suggest to all women not to accept poor medical treatment, to stand up and complain when you feel it's right for YOU to do so, and to go elsewhere where you can be heard and treated with the proper dignity we deserve as human beings.

I'm sorry I can't suggest much for others' who are experiencing such pain. I would say try a different Doctor clinic, request to see a consultant, and have your medical complaints properly investigated not herded away like sheep.

Now this may sound 'feminist' but it's not intended to be, but we carry the mitochondrial secret of life on this planet today, and we deserve to be shown a little more respect than I believe we are currently getting. We have complex bodies. Men come from Women not the other way around. We must refuse to be toyed with by both Men and Medics. Ok, slightly feminist rant, over and out. Hope this helps. :)

I agree with her. You were treated extremely insensitively and no doctor should ever be that harsh & rough with a patient. I would definitely go to another doctor whenever the next time you need an exam is, and explain to the new doctor that you had an awful experience before. Talk to te new doctor and find out what her (or his) approach is, most doctors who are caring & sensitive will be happy to answer your questions and make you feel as comfortable as possible. I also agree that you should definitely consider making a formal complaint about the horrible experience you had with tat doctor. And I want you to know that you have nothing to be ashamed of, a medical professional treated you in a harsh, hurtful and demeaning way. That is in no way your fault, and you have every right to feel violated. But try not to let it make you feel like you aren't a virgin, you did not have sex and none of the things that happened during the examination were something you even willingly went along with, it was a medical examination done by a professional who you should have been able to trust but they hurt you. I am so sorry you were treated that way and hurt so much both emotionally & physically!

I know this is an old thread, and the poor op never got her question answered, but I just have to reply to the people saying they had traumatic experiences. To anyone reading tho now and is now horrified of pelvic exams, that initial story is not typical, and exaggerated. No one I torn open during a pelvic exam, but doctors can be rude, and if you're nervous about your exam and the doctor's being rude, just leave. Also, pelvic exams are not sexual in any way, although if you have any psychological issues with sex then you may feel like that. I was raped years ago and pelvic exams are nerve racking for me, but counseling and mental preparation helps so that I don't tense as much. The first comment talking about this experience was afraid to use tampons, that says a lot and is very sad. Her family should have known better than to throw her into a situation like that without some counseling first. I guess I'm just hoping that my comment helps someone understand that this kind of thinking about a pelvic exam is not normal, it's not dirty or sinful to get one and they're not just for sexually active females. You can be a virgin and still get ovarian or uterine cancer. You don't need a yearly exam if you have no chance of STDs but if you have painful or irregular periods you need to get one. I hope this helps someone feel better about the horrible stories they just read

Possibly could be pelvic inflammatory disease. I had pains during sex and also after an internal exam and so my doctor put me on antibiotics as PID could be a possibility

I just had the same thing happen to me exactly. I am somewhat relieved to read your post because I have been very worried about it. I do not have cramps and pain normally during my cycle but this was very different after my exam.