Hi, 5 days ago I had a pap smear and pelvic exam. The next day I had shooting pains in my abdomen to the left of my belly button. The pains have persisted everyday since then. They are sharp pains mostly on my left side but sometimes on my lower right abdomen as well. They come often. I'ver never experienced this after an exam and I'm wondering what could have happened. Any ideas? Has this happened to women before?

Hi there, I wasn't as concerned about this issue until you stated that you're having shooting pains. Shooting pains are not a good sign and I'm not entirely sure what happened but that's not a good sign. Can you get to a doctor pronto? I think that would be a good idea. Let me know, okay?

The thing is that pain in abdomen after pap smear is not that unusual and many women experience this pain. However the pain doesn’t have to be experienced so you don’t have to be afraid to have another pap smear test. Have you noticed any cramps after or during the procedure? The thing is that these cramps are usually temporary and they tend to go away after short period of time. If you noticed some bleeding from your vagina your doctor might have made an injury in your pelvic area and this could be the reason why you have pain for such a long time. You might need to have another look to find this injury.

All the best,
Danella

Hi. I have been looking for answers to the same thing! :(i i had my first pap smear about six months ago and it was extremely uncomfortable, the woman was very rude, and she found blood afterwards. I had terrible cramping in mythe abdomen after and was treated for chlamydia. I haven't even had sex with my (now exx) boyfriend because he hadn't gotten tested for std's. I just recently had sex for the first time since then and felt that same cramping pain in my lower left abdomen during intercourse. I wonder whether it's a reaction to the penetration because of the pap smear or if i was seriously injured during the pap smear. Intercourse has NEVER been painful before the smear. Sorry for no answers. I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on another std test instead to see if it's something underlying, but i'm avoiding a pap smear for now to avoid any possibility for further injury if that's the case. Also avoiding intercourse for the time being. :(

I am having the same thing after GYN exam. Also burning urination but no UTI. This has been going on for 2 + weeks now. I did not feel like this before the exam.

me too, had a pap smear on Wednesday and have been in serious pain with cramping since. I'm supposed to go for a biopsy too. I'm scared!

Hi, I was looking for answers to the exact same questions everyone has. I had my pap and pelvic exam about 5 days ago and have bad cramping in my lower abdomin and my back real bad. It feels better when I sit or lay down, but walking hurts. I was just wondering how long it took for ur pain to go away, and if u went back to the doctor, what did they say it was. Im scared they did something bad inside of me. Please let me know. Thank u!

I have just had the same problem had a pap and now I am having the sharpest crazy pain especially when my bowl is in any kind of use, I went back to the doctor and she was gone, the other doctor said there was no bleeding but maybe I should go to the hospital and I don't no what to do.
can you tell me what was your outcome?

My daughter had her first Pap smear 6 days ago. She is a virgin. She turns 20 this year. The exam very painful!!! After the exam she had no control of bladder or bowels had nausea & abdominal pain. Everything has resided except she is still having abdominal pain. Yesterday her doctor gave her Toradol IM after Alieve did not work said this is normal & her body will adjust. Has anyone had this happen?

Hi I'm 35 and just had my very first pap. The doc was awesome. I have some trauma in my past and she was nice and walked me through step by step of what was gonna happen. I had zero cramping for hours. 9 hours later I have been hit by the cramp train from hell. I can't walk standing up. The pain is so bad I have to bend forward and walk. There is no bleeding. She told me there might be cramping. Has anybody had the cramps hit hours later?

Ya, I had the same experience as you. Will meet the doctor tomorrow again. Till then , trying to relax and calm down. Think positive and hoping that there is nothing wrong with me.
Deepika

Women/girls who have not had intercourse should NOT have smears. Fact.

Why in the world would you subject a virgin to a Pap smear?

not fact. Whether you use or or not you can still get cancer...fact

Because cancer doesn't wait for you to have sex.