I’m not quite sure what’s going on but for the past month or two; I’ve felt increasingly physically ‘not right’. I’ve had a dull ache in my right pelvic region starting from the front and eventually radiating to varying places depending on my position hip, back, bottom, upper thigh. When I sit there is a pressure sensation like something is bearing down on my tailbone and pain near my rectum. I find that when I do stretches or lean back there is a tugging pain in my lower abdomen. I occasionally have extremely painful stabbing vaginal pain that come out of nowhere and almost doubles me over in pain. I’ve lost my appetite, my digestions is all out of whack. When I eat out with friends I get comments on how little I eat because I get full quickly so I eat smaller meals more frequently to keep from feeling dizzy and have frequent nausea, severe bloating (to the point where I look pregnant) and more recently painful gas. I’ve always had some form of pelvic discomfort since my early teens and had pelvic pressure when I walk or stand for too long, but this is recent pain is different. I don’t know what may be causing this now and I’m not sure whether to pursue this further or not.

A little background:

I have to present this in some way because it has really been upsetting more for the past few days and there’s really no person I can turn to. I went it recently for a pelvic exam, after much deliberation on whether or not I should go. I was sexually assaulted for a number of years as a child and teen and knew I would have to mention it in some way via questions on their sexual history form; something I’ve always avoided having brought up. I was visibly upset and began to cry during the exam.
The nurse was nice and answered my questions and tried to keep me talking so I wouldn’t cry. I don’t know if her comments during the pap smear helped calm me though and I didn’t know what to make of them “My God you are tiny! I’m going to have to use another brush to make sure enough cells.” I asked her if that was bad and she said it might matter later when I try to have children. It was painful to have the speculum even placed to make it worse I began to cramp badly and bleed during and a little after the exam. The pap smear came back normal.
When she began the external exam and pressed my abdomen and it was uncomfortable bordering on painful and mentioned I hesitantly mentioned had been having the pelvic pain on my right side so she ordered a urine sample, CBC, and a abdominal X-ray. The X-ray showed I had severe constipation and was told I needed laxatives and an enema to expel everything (so sorry for the detail). I asked if that was causing the pain and she said it could be but to come back in a few days if the pain didn’t go away because there may still be something wrong with my ovaries to have a ultrasound.
I left and the expecting the pain to go away, it lessened slightly for a while in my abdomen but the pelvic pain didn’t stop so I returned a week later as advised, not wanting to be there in the first place. I probably should have had the symptoms written on paper instead of having to re-explain them because I’m really bad at verbally describing anything. This was the same nurse who did the pelvic exam; she seemed relatively unconcerned and at one point actually stopped and pointed at the history form and said “Are you sure this isn’t just stemming from… you know… something else? Like from what happened?” I cannot tell you how upset I was after this question, or having that brought up. I can tell you that this is exactly why I have avoided telling anyone about my past why I wanted to avoid mentioning the recent pelvic pain. I knew that somewhere down the line someone could look at the record and assume that I was just another rape victim and somehow this was all psychological. I wanted to walk out of the office and just take ibuprofen and forget I had ever tried to explore what may be causing the current pain. I didn’t leave though and she referred me to have an ultrasound done because this was a university center not an actual practice.

This experience has really discouraged me from even wanting to see another medical professional or even schedule an ultrasound with my referral. I know I should be an advocate for myself and my health and while I’ve gotten better at it it’s still very hard. I know I shouldn’t give up because of a insensitive comment especially when I know the pain is real. I know the difference between psychological pain and real physical pain.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any thoughts on what could be causing the digestive problems or pelvic pain? IBS? Ovarian cysts? Is this worse further investigation with the ultrasound or just try to manage on my own?

Yes, well, I know how insensitive nurses and doctors can be - like they are doing you a favor or something... But, one thing is - you have to go to ultrasound to eliminate the possibility of ovarian cyst (it definitely can cause all the symptoms you described). Second thing, your digestion. This is what I learned the hard way - stay away from ibuprofen, it's a poison for your stomach. Yes it helps with the pain, but at the cost of possibly giving you the ulcer. So, that is the reason why you have to find out what is causing the pain - you cant just live on meds. Also, it would be a good idea to check for IBS.

Hello CYPink, I am so sorry that you experienced all that you did. Well, I will tell you what I have experienced. I had that pelvic pain for years and I had a GYN that was insensitive and did not give me the proper exams. He based my symptoms off of what he assumed it was because he had been receiving a lot of paitients that have had STDs with the same symptoms. As soon as I saw a different GYN he diagnosed me with an ovarian Cyst that was dermoid (a form of calcification) I had to have surgery to remove it, unfortunately that entire reproductive area on that side had to be removed along with it. You really should go and request the follow up treatments whether it is with the same Dr or a different one. It could be IBS, Cysts or even an introverted cervix. At least you will know. To my knowledge they are not life threatning but you at least want to know. I pray that God continually comforts you and heals you from your traumatic experience. Although you have been through what you have been through, you still have to take care of your body because you only get one. I pray that God will place the right Doctor in your path, most importantly that He heals you so that you don't have to go through that drama again. Best Wishes.

Hi im new to this site.just got done reading ur story.Im a 44 old woman.Had hyst.stoll had pain.A few years go by gallbader removal.'still with stomach pain all over.Kiney stones.was in er early this mornong.aGave me pain med.sent me home..Still have alot of pain dont know what to do.

To me it sounds like adhesions .. I had that like a tearing or ripping pain when u move or change positions... Have u had any surgery or c sections .. The cause adhesions .. But u can get them from just organs attaching to tissue around your organs .. The only way to treat them is surgery bit it will always come back