What is a self breast exam? Like when the doctor asks me if I've been doing my monthly self breast exams, I say that I have, but not once has anyone told me what it is that I'm supposed to be doing. *looks down...yes my breasts are still there. Like how does one do a self breast exam? What do you feel for? What if you have naturally lumpy breasts? Then what? I don't understand why doctors just assume that we (women) how to do self breast exams when we have our first pap smear/full physical exam....I did not miss any days of my health class. But apparently it is taught to the masses or are women just "supposed to know these things" innately? Could someone be so kind as to fill me in on this lesson that apparently I missed?

Health Guru
Hi, if you don't want to ask your doctor or anyone in your family how to do it then you can always look it up on you tube and your find several videos there on what to look for and how and when to do it. Its done to check for any new lumps or to feel for any changes to ones all ready there. Look up "how to do a breast exam" on you tube and Google and you should get all the info you need :-)