I recently had a pap smear/pelvic exam. I woke up the next day with mild cramping. The cramps got worse and two weeks later I am doubled over in pain. It feels like it is in my left ovary. It also hurts on the left side of my stomach, (to the left of my belly button).
I don't usually have cramping with my menstrual periods, so this is quite different for me. Is this normal after an exam? I called my doctor and he prescribed some pain meds, and said if its not better by Monday come in to see him. I just wonder if anyone else has experienced this much pain after an exam.

Some mild cramping is possible after pelvic exams and pap smears, so is light bleeding.

I am not aware of such strong pains. Like your doc said, you better see him if it doesn't stabilize.

So what happened? I'm going through the same thing right now....

i have had this pain ever since i had my pelvic examined when i was 20 years old. sex and periods have been painful. also the first time i had sex after that it felt like the uterus had been in the wrong position and so when my partners penis hit the cervix it felt like it was being pushed back almost back into place but not quite so it still hurts and still bad cramps ever since then. i am now 26 years old and just now figured out that all the pain was caused from that pelvic exam and now i need to go to the doctors and tell them. at the time when it had happened i told them about my pain. they dismissed it and said it would go away. so i too dismissed it. and blame myself and felt like maybe it was in my head. but no the pain is still there so it was their fault not mine and now i need to find out if its not too late to see if maybe my uterus isnt screwed up for life because of this.

Hi, I'm happy I found this thread. I went for a pap smear and pelvic exam last week and I've been experiencing shooting pains to the left of my belly button and pains in my lower right abdomen. The pains come and go throughout the day all day. I've had pap smears and pelvic exams before and I never felt anything like this. I fel so achy and concerned. Sometimes the pains are sharp and they are unrelenting. Has anyone experienced this and figured out what happened?

I have the same thing. I just went for a full check up including a pelvic exam. The next day I had sex and it hurt a little so we stopped in the middle. A couple seconds later I started getting horrible cramps in my lower stomach and sometimes shooting pains. When the shooting pains went away it started hurting a little higher up like I was punched in the stomach. I figured it was from the exam and slept on it. The next day it came back when I peed.

The same happened to me. I haven't had menstrual cramps as I haven't had my period for one year. I went for my annual exam, and I've had cramps on my left side for the past 4 days. I want to believe it's normal, but, I don't remember this ever happening before. I will call my doctor if it persists.

I've had the same experience as all of you...i've been having cramps for the past 4 days since my pelvic exam. Never happened before. Did you guys find out what what causing it for you guys?
I'm going to wait as well and if it doesn't go away I'll check back with the doctor.

I had my exam yesterday and i woke up this morning hurting really bad on my left side.I have never had this before.If any of you found out why please let me know.

i had my exam yesertday, and it really hurt me-more than usual. i know she made me bleed more than usual and she had to put some sort brown medicine in there.. but today my stomach has been acting up and tonight it started cramping horribly in my left side... like if one of my ovaries was on fire or something. im literally doubled over in pain and have been throwing up - both ends. i havent had cramps like this since before i went on the pill.... but i doubt it will get answer, so if it continues til monday im goin to call the doctor.

I am having the EXACT same symptoms! Shooting pain/cramping feeling on my left side after my pelvic exam and pap smear today. This is only my third time having an exam, but I can't remember having these side effects before... let me know if any of you find something out!

I had my pap yesterday, the 15th, and I still have pain today. I am 28 and have been getting paps for 11 years now, and I have NEVER had anything more than very mild cramping, and usually not even that.

I bled alot more than usual, as I usually don't bleed at all and my ob had to chemically cauterize me before I could leave (thats the brown goo they use to stop bleeding) I didnt feel any pain at all during the exam, or the drive home. The first pain was about 2 hours after I got home, and it was a "sharp cramp" up the walls of my vagina and my uterus felt like it cramped into a tight little first. It lasted 2 or 3 minutes and eased up, but its happened 5-6 times since then, that was about 24 hours ago. I just assumed until I found this online that it was probably related to a bunch of abnormal paps I had two years ago? If anyone sees this with the same symptoms, do you have abnormal paps too?

I had my first PAP smear yesterday and I've been a mess ever since. I'm a 26 year old virgin and even though I have not had sexual relations of any kind in all my years, I was bullied into getting one by my Mom and GP. I have never even used tampons because I hate the idea of sticking a foreign object in an area that is very private and sensitive. I am a very shy and modest girl. I had already gotten the full series of HPV vaccinations as a precaution and one of my friends told me that if I wasn't sexually active I didn't need a PAP smear at all because HPV is a sexually transmitted disease and I have never been intimate with a man in any way, I wanted to be pure for the right one on my wedding night. Call me crazy.

First off, my Doctor left me sitting in a freezing exam room with no more than a paper sheet to drape over me for over 45 minutes. I was so cold and anxious at that point that I re-dressed and wanted to wait until she actually came into the room...it would have taken me all of about 45 seconds to disrobe once she finally had shown up so I didn't see the point of being tense, nervous, and naked for all that time when she wasn't even there for all that time. When she did come in it had been well over an hour, she was really miffed at me for not being spread eagle and ready for her when I had no idea when she would even show up! I kept getting told, "you're the next one, it'll just be a couple of minutes" over and over. So she left the room to go see another patient because she was really busy that day and didn't have time to wait for me. She left me there for another 20 minutes, naked and cold, I assume as punishment for not obeying her the first time.

I told her I wanted to listen to my music during the exam because it relaxes me and I didn't want to know all the dirty logistics of what she was doing to me. She was very gruff with me. She told me that's not the way she does things, she didn't care about my patient comfort at all and seemed to be in a rush. I was not happy with the way things were being handled. So instead of being in my happy place, eyes closed, and just wanting to get the exam done with while listening to music...I was staring up at the cold white ceiling, while she lectured me about how important this exam was for all women and every woman has to go through with it several times in their lifetime so I just needed to buck up and deal with it. I wanted my Mom in the room because I was nervous and this was really my first sexual experience of any kind. The Doctor asked my Mom to leave. I told her I wanted my Mom there and she told me that patients often lie about sexual encounters around their parents and so she wanted my Mom to leave so she could get the truth from me. I adamantly told her that I was a virgin and have never had sex. She looked at me with disbelief like she couldn't believe all girls my age weren't just giving it away on the street. Just because most girls aren't virgins doesn't mean I'm lying. Then she asked me if I wanted to get tested for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, and I re-enforced to her that I didn't need to be tested because there's no way I have been sexually active. She looked at my crossways and said "Yes well, most 20 year olds are so in denial that they've forced themselves to believe the opposite." I got really offended and said "So you're calling me a liar and a w****?" to which she replied something along the lines of, "I can't take everyone's word for it." Even my own Mom didn't stand up for me, she just sat there. Then the Doctor said "Are you sure you don't want the STD test, because you can tell me honestly, Mom doesn't have to know." Then I started crying "Why don't you believe me? Is it so odd that someone in this world that actually wants to retain some self worth instead of throwing it away on a one night stand? Why is every virgin over 20 seen like some kind of freak?" She got all defensive towards me and said "Well I never implied that." And I said "Yes you did! You've asked me this over and over again like you won't accept any answer but I'm just a disease ridden s***." To which she replied that I just needed to get over it and take one for the team.

She had to hold everything over my head and describe in detail what she was going to do. When I looked towards the wall and started to cry she snapped "Pay Attention! Are you listening to me?" and I shook my head tearfully. When she put the speculum in my vagina, I was so tight it wouldn't go in and I was now all disheveled and tense. She pulled my legs open and wedged it inside me as far as it would go until I could feel it tearing me open. I screamed "Ow that hurts! Ow Get it out! It hurts!" to which she replied "It's just some pressure." And I screamed "No it's not, it's pain! It really hurts! Please stop!" and cried hysterically. She said "Just stop crying and deal with it! You're 26! Act like an adult!" as she scraped the inside of me. The she said "Ready for the second part of the exam?" and I said "No! I feel like I've been violated! I just want to go home! Please stop it!" Then my Mom finally said "I think that's enough for the day." I got dressed and ran out to the car, and just sobbed all the way home.

When I got home, I felt so dirty and my insides were so sore. I was getting intense cramping and shooting pains in my vaginal walls. I went to take a bath and just soaked my whole bottom half in as hot of water as I could get. I just sat there crying. The pain and humiliation was so bad. I felt like I had been raped. I wanted my first time to be special, instead now I've been torn open by a piece of lubricated plastic and I'm afraid of intimacy. The pain was so bad I had to sleep fetal position with a heating pad on my abdomen. I couldn't sleep at all last night because I was so traumatized, I kept waking up crying every hour and the pain was throbbing. Then I actually wet the bed twice, at 26 years old. I am so mortified right now, I can't even look at myself in the mirror. I feel disgusting and ashamed. My dignity was taken from me.

To the previous poster: I too just had my first pelvic exam yesterday, and I am a 21 year old virgin. I had been trying to put the experience off for as long as I possibly could, but I am getting married in four months and figured it was time. You're definitely not some sort of freak for having waited to have sex, and it's a shame that your doctor was so rude about it (Although, I can understand her not wanting you to listen to music-a doctor needs to be able to communicate with their patient during an exam, not being able to could even cause injury, but she could have at least explained that to you.), and that your mother didn't stick up for you sooner. I'm sorry that you had such a poor experience, my doctor was very kind and helpful and understanding, and she gave me the option of waiting until after I have had sex to do the exam, but I wanted to just get it over and done with. First of all, I understand that it was a painful and traumatic experience for you, but there's no reason to feel dirty and ashamed about it. You went to the doctor for a routine female examination, your doctor was very rude and insensitive, and you should never go back to her again. But you will be ok. You have not been "torn open", even though it may have felt that way at the time, and it in no way means that your first time cannot be special. However, you should know that your first time will probably not be as great as you are hoping. If the pap smear hurt you that much (And believe me...it hurt me too. I had intented to be a mature adult about the entire experience, but in the end all I could do was lie there and whimper until she was done.), you have to realize that sex is going to be painful for you when you start out. But consider this a learning experience. Now you can mentally prepare yourself for what to expect when you do get married. As I said, there's no reason to feel ashamed. It was painful for me as well, I spent the rest of the night lying in bed and peeing buckets. But at least you will be able to have the test results to prove that you are disease free, and now you should have no reason to need to go back to the gyno for a long time. And make sure you find a different doctor!
To everyone else: Is there anyone who was ever able to find out the cause of their pain after a pelvic exam? I have been having these shooting pains like most of you have described for the past two months. They're not centralized to any one location, but vary in position all over my mid-abdominal/periumbilical region. They come without warning, happen anywhere from once every few weeks to four times in one night, and last anywhere from five seconds to ten minutes. It's a sharp, shooting, stabbing sensation unlike anything that I have ever felt before, and I've been experiencing stabbing stomach pains for years. But nothing like this, and I do plan on trying to get in to a doctor at some point to see if they can determine the cause. Anyway, after my pelvic exam yesterday, I experienced soreness and some cramping for about an hour, then that morphed into a slightly nauseous sensation for about twenty minutes, and then settled into a much duller version of this same pain that I have been having lately. It is nowhere near as intense, but it's almost constant. I can clearly locate this pain as being to the left of and just below my navel. After reading this thread, and many posts on other forums about this pain, I'm wondering if it may have been directly caused by the exam. The pain isn't too horrible at the moment, but it was so bad last night that it took me a good long while to be able to fall asleep. Anyone ever find out what causes this pain after pelvic exams?

Hi guest, I like your other name "tinkerstinker" why not register here too?

I think you need to find another doctor.
What did she have going there, an assembly line?
I realize doctors have to make a lot more money today than they used to in order to pay the costs of dealing with insurance companies and the government. That means they have to see more of us in a day and spend less time with us to support the additional personel they need to do that. But if my doctor can't/won't take the time to address my concerns I think it's time to find one who will.

Maybe finding a male gyno would help. I don't know if a male would be more considerate of your feelings or if you would be willing to accept one.

As a male, I have both male and female doctors who examine me. My family doc is male and the one I see at the VA is female. I have no problem sitting around naked in their offices, but that's just me. I do prefer being examined by the female doctor though. I don't like a male touching me and for the invasive exam they do once a year, the females finger is smaller. XD

You are able to express your opinion very well in writing and at 26 it's time you stick up for yourself in those situations. You do have the right to.