My last gyn exam/pap smear was so painful, the nurse had to stop and was hopeful that she obtained enough cervical cells for the lab. She said that my cervix had closed. I am 54 and went through menopause 2 years ago, and had cryosurgery 25 years ago on my cervix. And I never had children, and all of these can contribute to a closed cervix.

My question has to do with the level of pain - over the years, I have had varying degrees of pain during gyn exams, the worst ones feeling like very sharp steel pinchers cutting or pinching my cervix - the pain has been very inconsistent, and I assumed it had to do with the skill of the examiner. This last one was so painful, like knives cutting my cervix, that the nurse had to stop, but I've also had this very painful cutting or pinching feeling before menopause.

I haven't found any information on this level of pain, and why some exams over the years have been so painful, and others not, and am seeking information about it.
Thank you,
JOJO

I want to find out if anyone else has had my problem. I am 58 and through the menapause. I get pap smears every year and they are always normal. However, the last two years the doctors haven't been able to do a pap because for some reason my cervix has closed or skin grew over it. I had a procedure done a few wks ago so the doctor could do a pap and he said it was normal. I went to him to be examined again to see if everything is o.k. and he said that the cervix is closed again or that skin has grown over my cervix opening again. Is this a common thing to happen? Does anyone know? I need more information from the Doctor and will be asking some questions, but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

I have the same problem and have not had a pap smear in 4 years because of it. I am 57 and concerned that no one has replied with help. Is this problem so rare? re

This happened to me at 57 years old too. My doctor gave me a tube of estrogen to keep it open. But I am afraid whenever I think of going back in for another pap smear!

A docotr just told me that the latest findings are that you don't need one unless you have sex with a Latin men, only Latin men can have the HPV virus, guess that's why 70% of cervical cancer are in Latin women.

*** admin note: This statement is irrelevant and false ***

I don't know where your doctor got his/her facts, but HPV is prevalent in ALL racial and ethnic backgrounds of men and women, not just Latinos. Risk factors for HPV include having sex at a young age, having sex with multiple partners, having sex with a partner who had multiple partners, HIV, smoking, etc. HPV is spread by skin-on-skin contact.

I have the same problem. I went through menopause when I was 45 after having breast cancer, chimo and radiation therapy. I dread my pap smear exams which I have to have every 6 months. I am now 55 and every year it seems to get more painfull. What can we do to make the exam less painfull???? I tried taking advil before the exam....doesn't work. Help! I have another exam scheduled for this week.

I also have the same problem. I am 25 and my last few pap tests have been traumatic and painful to the point that I thought I would hyperventalate or pass out. It is that same piching and stabbbing feeling described in the previous post. I tried to tell the Dr. before hand about the difficulty i experience, and she told me that the best thing to do would be to stay relaxed. Needless to say, I was not able to relax and my last test was the worst yet. I've been reading up on this subject because I don't know how I will be able to go through another one. A few helpful tips I found were to build a relationship with your gynocologist over a long period of time and make sure to be as clear as possible about what it is like for you. This way you and your Dr. can work collaboratively to figure out the best solution for you. Some Dr.'s will have you take a relaxant before the exam to help with the pain.

Hi I have had the same problem and I believe in my case the reason is that when I go to a male doctor they lubricate the speculum with KY gel, but female doctors use warm water. When the KY gel is used there is really no pain but the pain is unbearable when the warm water is used. I have asked the female doctors to lubricate the speculum but they never use the KY gel and so it always hurts. I think women can be very cruel to other women and I now refuse to have a smear done unless the KY gel is used.

I'm 56 and had my exam yesterday, pap included. I actually screamed when my female doctor first began the process. She quickly reached for the smallest instrument she had and still it was so painful that I grimmaced through the entire procedure. She explained that it's my body's way of telling me that I could no longer have babies and the lining was thinning out. I don't know if I can stand this every time I go! I guess I should be glad it's only once a year!

I'm 46 and just had the same problem for the first time this year.  My gyno told me it's because I didn't ovulate last month (hot flashes are further proof) and my body didn't produce estrogen; therefore the cervix didn't open this month and I had a false period.  I have no idea if she's correct or not since it seems you can ask 5 dr's the same question and you'll get 5 different answers!

YES THEY DO HERT BUT ONLY FOR A SPLIT SECOND WHY THE SMEAR IS BEING COLLECTED. SOMETIMES UR POSTURE AND POSTITING CAN AFFECT THE PROCESS, ASWELL WELL AS CLUNCHING FROM NERVOUSNESS

I just had a papsmear last week, and it was horribly painful.  The pain is not when the speculum enters the vaginal entrance.  The speculum inserts fine, and there is no dryness in the entrance.  It's when the OB (a lady) starts touching the cervix area.  I guess that's where they take piece from.  Well, when she gets ready to pinch a piece off, it was excruciatingly painful, and she stopped the procedure and pulled out the speculum.  I became so tense and I was crying.  I was very upset and concerned and scared, and said to just hurry up and do it to get it overwith.  When she did it, I was in very much pain, and was crying so hard.  When she finished, I was crying like a little girl saying "I don't want to do this again, ever.  Do I have to do this again?"  She said that, if I have had good results in the past, I can wait every two or three years.  But, I don't want to do this again.  It was unbearable!  Then, after I walked out of the room, an assistant came over and gave me a big hug.  The pain subsided right away.  I am surprised I had no bleeding.  How could that not be?

The doctor said it was due to dryness and a lack of estrogen and suggested I use a suppository to insert for one week before my appointment.  I don't want to even try.  I told her my estrogen is high, and that it can't be dryness, if the vaginal opening isn't dry.  Is it possible for the cervix to be dry and not the vaginal area?

Not only is it an immodest position, but I don't want to put myself through that again.  I recall that the last papsmear I had did not hurt.  The one before that was painful, but that time, it was cramping, not a pinch at the top of the speculum.  It was a young girl doing it that time, and I attributed it to her inexperience.  After my experience last week, I think it's something in my anatomy that changed.

I am 56, passed menopause, and have not had sexual relations for 15 years.  I don't think that has anything to do with it.  When I have been kissing a man, my body lubricates fine so dryness is not an issue, unless, as I said before the cervix can be dry while the vagina is well lubricated.

I found out I have kidney stones a year ago, because my bones are leaking calcium through my urine.  I have plenty of calcium, it's just that it's leaking.  The urologist referred me to an endocrinologist who said it was not my para thryroid hormone, as the urologist initially thought.  He said it was simply menopause and lack of vitamin D.  So, I take 2,000mg of Vitamin D, fish oil, and 500mg of calcium.  I take less calcium so I do not form more calcium oxilate stones, and he said, I have plenty, anyway.  I only share these things, as these are the issues I am dealing with and wonder if any of it might be affecting the painful papsmear when she pinches at or near the cervix?  My guess is not.

So, if not, what do I do next time?  I think I will just go every two years, and I will insist on some kind of anesthesia or just not go.

Hi. I want to add my voice to this issue. I am 59yrs old and find PAP tests and internal ultra sounds VERY painful. Now they have discussed doing a sonohystogram where they puncture the cervix and pump fluid into the uterous. All they want to give me for pain is tylenol 3! It doens't even help a touth ache, let alone the excruciating pain this exam will provide. Why is it, I can have sedation dentistry (never needed it) for simple dental work, but something that is so incredibly painful they offer nothing? WHY ARN'T THE DOCTORS LISTENING!!

Like many of the other posts here, I'm postmenopausal, plus, have scaring from cryosurgery, have never been pregnant and have not had sex in over a decade. I think they don't consider the age and individual differences of patients. I had no problem with PAP tests or even the cryosurgery which was uncomfortable when I was younger, and before the scars the cryosurgery provided.

If anyone has information on sedation or medication that makes the PAP and other internal exams possible, please reply.

I am 45 and just had a pap test.   It does feel like a sharp knife jabbing at your cervix.  I have toldl my female doctor that and she is not sympathetic.  She acts like their is something wrong with me because I don't tolerate it well.

She later found out I had a bacterial infection, yeast infection and cervical polyp.  Duh.  That could be why it was uncomfortable.

She then proceeded to tell me that alot of women don't come back after painful paps and she hopes that I still come back.

I had men doctors too,  and they were a little more gentle.

Anyways, someone out there needs to invent a better speculum.  Especially if women are avoiding pap tests due to bad experiences.

My friend who is a nurse told me to take ibuprofen 15 minutes before the appt.

I have had pain during a pap test, I think that it because  the speculum was shoved in dry.  When the device was pulled out it was awful... Again this is very un natural.  Metal in the vagina is not natural.  Doctors do not care if you feel pain, they don't take the time to be gentl and considerate.  A Pap is a medical procedure and should be done carefully and should involve lubrication.  Today more doctors rush through an exam and do not listen to complaints.

Before the processes begins stop the doctor, explain you want the speculum covered with K-Y and ask that they be gentle. If it becomes painful stop the doctor.  If the doctor does not have respect for your pain, does not show empathy.  Find a new doctor. Remember you deserve the best, not the worst....