On Thursday I had a miscarriage 2 days after a pap smear. I started to spot brown after the pap smear, however the next day it was followed by mucus. The day after I bleed so bad and passed the sac and hence miscarried. I was perfectly healthy. I have had 2 healthy births and never had a pap smear during pregnancy like this. It was the first time in 8 years that I decided to try for another child and I'm extremely upset and angry. I believe this miscarriage was 100% the fault of the pap smear. I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else.

We had the same case. My wife had a health first born. We went to a doctor when my wife missed her period and we were actively trying for our second child.
He did a Pap smear and the symptoms were almost identical to what you described. My wife started bleeding the same day..we thought that was due to the Pap -smear but in 24 hours she started having cramps and miscarriaged.
We are very distressed and are not sure if Pap smears should be done in the 1st month of pregnancy at all?

the same thing happened with my last 2 pregnancies..i went in got my pap smear..and within the next 48 hours i had a misscarriage....and now i am pregnant again..but i waited till i was 12 weeks along before i went to the doctor..i know..very stupid on my part....i had prenatal vitamins left over from my last 2 pregnancies so i took them everyday...well when i got to the doctor...being 12 weeks pregnant..they did the pap smear..and everything was fine after that...i am now 31 wks along...and expecting a baby girl in february

First off I would like to say I am so sorry for both of your losses. Me and my husband went through the same thing. It was our first and I was estimated to be about 8 weeks pregnant. I did not know what to expect in the prenatal visit and thought this was something that I HAD TO do. Not knowing so I allowed them to do a pap smear. She stated everything felt great and all was well. The following day I started noticing brown spotting. I called the hospital who said this was NORMAL after having a pap smear when pregnant and to relax. Within another day it turned from brownish to light pink, then pink to red with cramping. The 3rd day I miscarried while walking right into the hospital. That following monday would have been my first time with our very 1st ultra sound to see the little baby :( I truly felt this was the cause. I felt perfectly fine before it occured and it just seemed weird I have a sense. I am now I believe pregnant again, if I am it would only be a few weeks and I plan on not having a pap smear. I believe to let it run its course. I would suggest for all not to choose to have it. Doctors dont know everything. Keep confident and think positive and all will be well....

Hi, I am 32 years old. My husband and I are the proud parents of a 3 1/2 year old - Eric and we had been trying for 8 months to get preganant and then, it finally happened. I happily made an appt. to see my ob for a papsmear and blood work. Two days later I began to bleed and get cramps in my lower abdomen and back. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up with a miscarriage by the weekend. I am starting to believe that this is something that happens to alot of women but it's hard to come to the conclusion that something that is done so routinely at the ob/gyn office could cause irreparable harm!

Correct..

MANY THOUSANDS of women have PAP smears while pregnant, every day, yet many do not miscarry.

Thousands might, but I personally don't like slim chances if I don't need them. With my surgery this weekend, and the risk of losing the baby then I didn't want to do it but it was for the health of both the child and I, I will be refusing a pap smear to avoid any other complication. I know that i am free of sexual diseases, and they can't tell me anything during pregnancy that in my opinion can't be handled afterwards. But that is just my opinion.

Approximately 25% of all pregnancies result in miscarriage many of these pregnancies occur in the first trimester. There has been no research to establish a cause and effect relationship between pap smears and miscarriage although there may be a "correlation" it is most likely due to the fact that the miscarriage was imminent to begin with. Considering the advances in medical technology there has never been a better time to become pregnant and expect that a pregnancy will progress normally and without complications. Prenatal medical procedures (such as pap smears) are instituted for the well being of the mother and baby. Mothers wishing to increase the probability that there pregnancy will be a healthy one should not forego standard prenantal procedures, especially in a country such as the U.S where women can take advantage of such previleges as prenantal care.
Also I would like to say that I had a pap smear when I was eight weeks pregnant and the pregnancy was normal and healthy. I also had a misscarriage without having had a pap smear, I was about eleven weeks along.

While I see what you are saying, I just had ovarian surgery this past Saturday (I was 12 weeks 5 days pregnant), where they removed my right ovary which had a large tumor growing inside it, and my fallopian tube. With the grace of God and a wonderful team of doctors we made it through the surgery and I am now 13 weeks 2 days pregnant. I leaned a lot on support and begged God every day to watch out for my baby. After 9 years of trying to have a baby, 2 miscarriages during that time, and the 5 years since the last miscarriage it took me to even get pregnant again, I am not taking any chances.

Hi, I have had 6 children and had some bleeding with the papsmears. I have also had 5 micarriages and didn't have any pap smears. I do know that when I started beeding and went in to have an ultrasound that the bleeding got much worse and that mc seemed to happen faster. I think if you mc after a pap smear especially so soon like 24-48 hrs. that you were going to anyway. I also think if your stressed out worrying about it that you shouldn't have it done. I personally hate them, but do it anyway.

The same thing happend to me except he doctor didnt ask me to take a test til after the pap smear i didnt even know i was pregnant until after the pap smear and the next day i miscarried i passed the fetus and i now have an appt to get a sonagram done to see what all is going on i think that they should always give pregnancy tests before trying to do a pap smear and if it comes out positive then they shouldnt continue with the appt.

I had a doctor's appt a couple of days ago. I was 11 weeks pregnant. I had a pap as well. The baby on the sonogram looked ok, and there was a heartbeat. Yesterday night I saw some brown spotting, and I had some pain on the side. Now I am freaking out. This is really scary - I have had 3 miscarriages over the past 2 years, and I am not in the age when I can try forever. I am really mad at myself and the doctor - I shouldn't have agreed to the pap, but I never thought it somehow could be a potential cause for a miscarriage.

I had a previous pregnany about 2 yrs ago without complications. This one was also going well. The sonogram 3 days ago indicated a heartbeat and the baby was determined to be 6wks 4days old. Last pregnancy I refused a pap but this pregnancy I was forced into it by the doctor. Almost immediately I started spotting. Within 2 days this incresed and I lost the baby. I still did not experience any discomfort, cramping, etc. I am starting to think that there are some women who must be at risk for miscarriage after a pap smear, especially if done early in pregnancy. Pap smears have also caused me to bleed and sometimes cramp. I wonder if age is also a factor.

pap or pelvic exam can be uncomfortable and stressful for many pregnant women (who might not find it so unpleasant otherwise). It can cause spasm, cramping and pelvic distress---if not done properly, it could introduce infections---all of this can cause miscarriage. So, supporters of pap can give all the statistics that they want but the truth is that 25% of viable pregnancies should not be resulting into miscarriage. Many miscarriages are due to an unhealthy embryo or situation such as blighted ovum--that means the pregnancy was not viable to begin with. Many miscarriages happen too early (5 weeks) and cannot even be detected. However, if large number of mc's are taking place right after a visit to on/gyn office for pelvic exam or pap--- there could be correlation's. 50% of my friends miscarried after their 1st pap/ pelvic exam. All went to different doctors in different states and were under 9 week pregnant. And finally here is the question-- the pap test can be negative or positive. If it is positive a biopsy (more invasive) is needed and can only be done after the delivery. There are more chances of a false positive pap especially during pregnancy-- so why is a pap necessary when it can even pose a 1% risk?

I had the same problem, did a pop smear at 8weeks and the second day, i started spotting, and two days after i miscarriage one f my baby and this morning, i miscarriage the other pass the sac and everthing, and i think its because of the, pop smear. well before the popsmear everything was normal. I cant understand why they keep doing it at first trimester, and alot of people complaning about they having miscarriage after. And they still be doing it. Right, now I'm really upset about my situation.