Im 20 years old, for the past 3 or 4 months I've been bleeding inbetween periods. Ill get my normal period that lasts about 7 days and then about 10 days or so after that I'll bleed again but alot lighter and this lasts about 4 days. My Dr has done some blood tests but she said if they come back normal she'd like to do a pelvic exam. I'm really scared. What does a pelvic exam involve? Does it hurt? What will she be looking for? What could be wrong with me? Please help Im really worried.

Pelvic exams don’t hurt although they may be a bit uncomfortable. What I hate the most is that we have to place our legs up on stirrups and open them wide, so that they could look inside. The doctors are usually very gentle especially if you’re a virgin.
When you are at this specific position, they will place an instrument called speculum inside the vaginal opening, so that they could separate vaginal walls from one another, so that they could look inside and check the vaginal walls and the cervix.
They may insert two fingers inside to feel the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries and check for any growths. However, you seem to be too young to have any growth.
It is however, common for younger girls to develop cysts on ovaries and they often cause spotting when your period’s not due. These cysts are usually harmless and go away on their own. They may cause pain during ovulation and period.
A doc may decide to do a pap smear. In papa smear, a so called “broom” is used to wipe some cells from the cervix and check for the abnormalities. You won’t feel that at all.
They may also take a sample of your discharge to check for possible infections.
All in all, it is not my fave place to be but what needs to be done needs to be done!

Thanks for your help. My Dr wants to see if things settle down over the next couple of months, because she thinks my symptoms are stress related, so I wont be having the exam just yet. You've put my mind at rest about what happens and at least now Ill know what to expect if/when I do get exammined. Thanks again.