I am 45 and have never had children. About 14 months ago I began having painful periods. The cramps were severe enough to make me double over in pain. At first, this was accompanied by a heavy flow. A gyn exam revealed no underlying medical problems. The heavy flow seemed to correct itself after a couple of months but the cramping never lessened.
An ultrasound exam showed a retroverted uterus. Even the vaginal part of the ultrasound was painful, triggering cramps, as the probe was moved around inside my vagina. Similarly, the past few months I have become sexually active again and while never experiencing pain in the past, sex now can hurt and trigger severe cramps. When my partner thrusts, it can be agony. We've tried not going so deep; but it doesn't help much. We've even tried having sex without thrusting - i.e., having his penis inside my vagina and manually stimulating one another. Sometimes I cannot even tolerate that pressure.
My doctor insists nothing is wrong and tells us many women have a tipped uterus. But I am beginning to think the "new" position of my uterus is the cause. Are there any treatments available to reposition the uterus? This is really miserable for me and my partner feels terrible he is hurting me. What can we do?
Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

I would suggest getting a second opinion from your doctor. This pain could be caused by endometriosis or ovarian cysts.