I have been having lower abdominal and pelvic pain on and off for weeks and have had them at other times in my life. A few weeks ago, I started to get heart burn really bad and more constipation than usual, even though I'm never regular. This has also happened before. I was under a lot of stress, so it makes sense. I was diagnosed with IBS yesterday and they told me that this pain is probably associated with it. I fit the symptoms of IBS to a tee and after introducing more fiber today, I already feel better. I read today that endometriosis can be associated with IBS. The pain is always there during my period and apparently that can be a sign. So I called a nurse at my school's clinic to ask questions and she acted like I made that information up and that I need to come in for a pelvic ultrasound immediately. No one said anything about that yesterday, they acted like it was no big deal. It's dull pain that comes and goes, it's not severe. I have normal periods and am not at risk for STDs and have been tested a few times for them, have protected sex every time, and my blood and urine tests were normal yesterday. Is this really a big deal? I don't want expensive procedures done that might not be covered completely if it's not necessary. Should I get another opinion?

it could be edometriosis, my mom has endometriosis and she says it causes alot of pain, so you might not even have IBS you could have endometriosis that might be why the nurse was concerned. the thing is theres not cure for endometriosis they just try and put you on birth control to cut back on the pain and to make your flow a little lighter, regular and not as painful.

Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue that behaves like the cells lining the uterus (endometrium) grows in other areas of the body, causing pain, irregular bleeding, and possible infertility.

The tissue growth (implant) typically occurs in the pelvic area, outside of the uterus, on the ovaries, bowel, rectum, bladder, and the delicate lining of the pelvis. However, the implants can occur in other areas of the body, too.
Symptoms
Pain is the main symptom for women with endometriosis. This can include:

•Painful periods
•Pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic cramps that can be felt for a week or two before menstruation
•Pain in the lower abdomen felt during menstruation (the pain and cramps may be steady and dull or severe)
•Pain during or following sexual intercourse
•Pain with bowel movements
•Pelvic or low back pain that may occur at any time during the menstrual cycle

in my opinion if its endometriosis theres really no point in getting a second opinion, all they do is give you birth control. my moms been through it and all they can ever say is "well, we can put you on this birth control" some sites say syrgery and pain medications but thats about it and really they usually wont even do the surgery so they would just give you birth control and some pain medication which you could do on your own without extra tests and procedures.

Thanks for the information! I should probably have said that I'm already on birth control. I went on it 5 years ago for acne and irregular, heavy periods. I was first on Ortho Tri Cylen Lo and when my insurance company cut that from coverage, I went on Trinessa. I'm not as happy with Trinessa but have never switched, just cuz it's a hassle to deal with and I'm afraid of the weight gain with some, side effects from Yaz, etc. I never used to have cramps, bloating, PMS or any other symptoms with the old pills or even before I went on them. Now I do, since I went on the new one 2 1/2 years ago. I've never complained about it really, I just metioned it to my gyno and she said it might just be my body changing. It's not unbearable or anything. I've had pelvic pain before, it's never been severe at all. I do fit a lot of those symptoms, besides the pain during and after sex. I would say my periods are fairly norma as far as heaviness goes. Every once in a while it's quite heavy but usually it's medium, not too light, not too heavy. I still think I have IBS because food is affecting me and I've had these symptoms before, usually when I'm stressed. I've also never been regular, since I was little even. I can tell it's getting better even today, since I've been eating more fiber. So we'll see what happens. I think I'll give it a few weeks and if I still have the pain or my period is weird, I'll go in. I think I'll try to get in at my gyno instead of my college's clinic. They are more thorough there and not as over-the-top. Thanks again!