Hi all! I am just wondering if there is someone out there who has experienced what I have been experiencing and can maybe help me to figure out what's up?
I had a baby in October of last year and then decided to have an IUD put in in May as we have decided not to have any more children (and he is too chicken to get snipped!)
I have had the Mirena IUD in since May 30 and was loving it up until 12 days ago when my husband and I were having sex and it was painful! Afterwards, I was all sore down there and over top of my uterus as well. Now, the pain has gotten SO bad that I can't even think about sex without feeling like I am going to puke!
I have had an ultrasound today to see what is up but that does come back with results for another 5 days.
Does anyone have any clue what is up?
Thanks!

I am a man and when my partner and I have intercourse something from her IUD pokes the tip. Its very uncomfortable. Anyone else experience this?

I am also male and have the same problem. She says she doesn't notice. she hasent ever complained about pain around her uterus My girlfriend is going to the gyno tomorrow to have it checked out. If anyone else has advice that would be great.

I'm having the same problems, and have a doctor's appointment in 2 days. (I have Mirena IUD.) I've had occassional sharp/severe pains in the lower ab, but strangely never connected to the IUD. Also, there has been painful intercourse with my partner of 3 years, but again, didn't connect to IUD (he's somewhat large...). But about 10 days ago, he penetrated deeply from behind, and the pain was unbearable. And now it hurts horribly during intercourse. It's terrible. I keep thinking it will go away, but it doesn't. Please post the results of your test, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

I've had it for a little under a year...just last night really painful after sex. Had to stop...felt like bad cramps, but worse. Any info back, anyone?

To Guest,

My boyfriend also complains about the poking. He said it made the tip of his penis sore. The poking is due to the three strings (sorta like fishing line) that hang down. I'm going to call my Gyno next week and inquire about a solution to this problem. I will keep you posted.

I am a mother of 2 children, my oldest 8 and my youngest 2. I got my mirena after my second child and have had it for over 2 years. I have had so many issues with painful intercourse and unusual painful cramping for the entire 2 years. I have always had a problem with ovarian cysts and just assumed that it was why I was having difficulty. About 1 year ago, I went to my gyno and asked her if the IUD could be causing these problems. She too has an IUD and said absolutely not. Well, she said that maybe it was my partner, maybe I wasn't that into him which made the intercourse uncomfortable. I have been with my partner for 4 years and didn't feel that was the case, however, she talked me out of getting it removed. Six months ago, I went in and asked again to have it removed because it constantly felt like it was jabbing into my ovaries during intercourse and certain positions were worse than others. It is horrible, intercourse is painful and not at all enjoyable. She then explained again that I shouldn't get it removed because the IUD would not cause this pain. I have done extensive research on the internet reading hundreds and hundreds of different posts similar to mine. I have an appointment to get it out tomorrow with a different doctor. I will let you know the results over the next week. I have huge cysts, which I read can also be tied to the IUD, low sex drive, sensitive breasts, my daughters cannot even sit on my lap too long without a feeling of pressure in my ovaries and of course we would all like intercourse to feel good and it does not. I wish all of you the best of luck. Just know that all my symptoms have worsened over the years and if you have begun to feel them, have it removed now before it gets worse.

I have an iud I've had it for 4 and a half years I was just looking up on painful sex being related to the iud and found many things that say no the two aren't related how those same articles say there is no way ur partner can feel it and I know my bf can feel it in certain positions I was so glad to find this forum and find out clearly drs are WRONG!!!! I will be calling Monday to have mine removed and find another mothed of birth control!! thank ppl so much for posting about it!!!

I've found out that IUD's and boyfriend's getting poked by the IUD are caused by the strings in the IUD being too long, it's an easy fix simply tell you're Gyno, or Doc and they will fix the problem. If the strings are cut right your partner shouldn't feel them, no matter how big they are.

My wife just got an IUD and I’d like to advise that YES, an IUD can hurt a guy, it feels like a jagged edged string poking into the pea hole of the penis and it is very painful!! I strongly recommend against if you enjoy sex, because it is less pleasurable with this type of birth control for both persons involved. For the guy it’s a nightmare!

I'm 25 yrs old have been using the Mirena IUD for almost 2 yrs now my daughter was born Jan 25 2007. I received the IUD 3 months after she was born. I have had discomfort to where my uterus hurts for a while after sex sometimes for days. Have experienced discomfort during sex to where I just wasn't going to get off and had to stop. I have also been told by more than 1 partner that the IUD pokes and scrapes the head of the penis. Trust me this has nothing 2 do with their size.

I have been researching and found out a lot by google search with search keywords "IUD vaginal" and also "IUD vaginal intercourse hurts" the first search came back with some disturbing facts that I was not educated on by my OBGYN such as: it can cause cysts (which I have had before on my ovaries & had I known this before the insertion I would have chose an alternate contraceptive) , if you have not vaginally deliverd before the chances of your uterus tearing during insertion is huge (this worries me because no1 told me this and both my kids were C-sections), there is a chance over time that the IUD can become embedded into your uterian wall possibly causing you to become sterile and/or have to get surgery to remove it in some cases resulting in a hysterectomy, over time it can cause a problem with your tubes as well when embedding occurrs not sure how often this happens but it sound very serious, there are a lot of things that can go wrong that I was not educated on before getting the IUD.

After sex I sometimes bleed which is usually light but can last a couple hours or a couple days to where when I wipe the tissue is pinkish n color. I had told a friend of mine who had went through an abortion and refuses to use contraceptives that an IUD was the best choice for her. She went out and got one implanted as well and has the same problems. Her boyfriend complains of poking and scraping of the penis as well as she bleeds almost every time after sex. This subject involving bleeding worries me since neither her nor I have vaginally delivered before. I don't see any other women complaining about bleeding which leads me to believe this could be tearing of the uterus that is damaging but I'm still reasearching this cause. If anyone has any similar problem involving bleeding or was given the IUD and had not vaginally deliverd before please contact me with any info or knowledge at please no spam this is only being divulged for medical knowledge insight. I will be making an app soon to have it removed I feel the cons are out weighing the pros at this point.

Thank you
TIFFANIE

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

If your boyfriend can feel the string during intercourse it means that the MIRENA strings are too long. Make an appointment with your gyno and state your problem and the doctor will more than likely cut them shorter. Also, you need to take into mind that it takes a little bit for the string to "settle" in the vagina. The strings are suppose to wrap around the "bump" where your cervix is. It takes a few day for it to do this and if you are messing with the strings too much they will not settle well. This may sound a little out of line, but if you were to feel inside yourself you can feel the "bump" I am talking about. If the strings warp around it right the length of the strings shouldn't matter and your boyfriend/husband won't feel the strings poking.

As for having pain after sex, sometimes this happens, but sometimes it is just called having rough sex. Sorry, for being so forward; however, this does happen. I know how it feels to have pain after sex because of MIRENA, but it is usually due to how you have sex.

So before going to the gyno give yourself a few days, or maybe a week, for the MIRENA to "settle" inside. For me it took a week or so, but I was having sex during that time, so it could have taken a little longer. The more you mess with it the longer it takes.

I hope this helps all of you.

i'am also a man. the love of my life has had her iud for 6 weeks, and sex is not the same . I am on the larger side but during sex she tell me to stop because it hurts

Hello All,
Acutally, as an M.A, I can tell you that I have seen patients who complain of the same syptoms of painful intercourse, and most of these Patients have an IUD in place. The misconception that A LOT of people have is, that if your IUD can be felt by your partner, then it is because the string is too long. I have to say that on the contrary, this is not true. It is due to the opposite in fact, and it's because the string of your IUD is too short! The IUD string cannot be reversed if the string is cut too short, therefore, many physicians will tell you before they insert it, that they can always go back and cut the string a little shorter if needed, but they cannot reverse it and make the string longer. If the sting is cut too short, then imagine how that would make it painful for your partner to feel! The string ideally should be a little long, but not so long that it hangs out of the vagina, and therefore making it curl around naturally in the vaginal canal, making it undetectable for a man to feel. A lot of women and sometimes many doctors that have not made numerous IUD insertions have made the mistake of making the strings too short. The string should be given some length with room to coil around in the vagina. As to painful intercourse, you should see your physician, so they can make sure the IUD string is still present, and they will likely order a Pelvic Ultrasound to make sure that the actual IUD is still in place. You dont want to have it removed before you know for sure that it did not become inbedded in the uterus. Which although rare, is not common but has been reported to happen in rare cases.!

Yes lots of partners get poked by mirena strings, and clipping the string does not help, my partner has complained about the painful little wire stabbing him, ive told my doctor who has check it and said its as short as they can possible get it....and I have had this iud since april 08 and had spotting for 2 weeks straight during the first two months, then no periods at all but very very bad cramping at random times usually on one side at a time that feel like contractions, im not kidding its like im gonna have a baby any day now but I know im not pregnant, this is crazy doctors seem to be full of it and I think anybody with this device should get out soon!!!!!!